Unexpected & unexplained fee

cmhs
Contributor
Contributor

Hi! So, I sent $505.00 to the UK. There was (supposedly) supposed to be only a $5 fee. As you can see in the photo, it converted to £. But then it charged the receiver an unexpected and unexplained(!) fee of £19.24. Does someone know what that fee was for and if there was a way to avoid it? My followup question is if I want to receive small amounts of money from the UK (£25/$20), how much of a fee will we be charged? And who gets hit with the fee? (Thinking of using Revolut instead. If anyone has any experience with that please comment!)

Screen Shot 2020-09-08 at 6.30.53 PM.png

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@cmhs 

Its down to how the payment was SENT to their account.

1. If you sent using money > goods / services option then paypal would see them as a seller and would charge a fee.

2. If you had sent using the send money > family / friends option then they would have had the payment instantly with no fee. (However that option is not available in every country).

There are however some occasions where friends / family payments are held for reviews but these are normally only 24 hours.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.