Uncollected Payment

MrBL
Contributor
Contributor

I made a payment for an item on eBay about a month ago, but my Paypal account shows it as needing to be accepted by the receiver. I have notified them, and they said they would sort it out, but nothing has happened. Other payments made around the same time all went through with no problem. The item was also sent. What happens if nothing continues to happen; does the payment remain in limbo forever more?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MrBL

If its showing as............
Pending / Unclaimed with a cancel option.

Then it means that the seller has made a mistake with the email address that they supplied you with to pay OR it was incorrect on their auction.

If there is a cancel option then the email address does not exist and so is not linked to a paypal account.

Tell the SELLER to do this........

Go and find the transaction in your “my ebay” > click to the right where it says sell similar > don't fill in anything just scroll down to the payments section > look in the paypal box > is the email addy in there correct with no spelling mistakes? If so then you need to change it DURING the listing process next time you list an item for sale.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MrBL

Does it say pending / UNCLAIMED?

Is so is there a cancel option?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

MrBL
Contributor
Contributor

Hi. Thanks for replying. My Paypal statement says "Waiting to be accepted" against the transaction. There is a Cancel button there, but I am reluctant to do this since I have received the item I purchased. Also, it is not a trivial amount, being in excess of £50. I am now getting no response from the recipient, although in the beginning they were very communicative. My last message to them notified them of what I was seeing at my end, and I got the response that they would look into it. Since then, I have heard nothing. I just wondered what happens from Paypal's perspective; does the attempted payment just sit there forever more!

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MrBL

If its showing as............
Pending / Unclaimed with a cancel option.

Then it means that the seller has made a mistake with the email address that they supplied you with to pay OR it was incorrect on their auction.

If there is a cancel option then the email address does not exist and so is not linked to a paypal account.

Tell the SELLER to do this........

Go and find the transaction in your “my ebay” > click to the right where it says sell similar > don't fill in anything just scroll down to the payments section > look in the paypal box > is the email addy in there correct with no spelling mistakes? If so then you need to change it DURING the listing process next time you list an item for sale.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

MrBL
Contributor
Contributor

In my Paypal account, the payment is showing as "eBay - <emailaddress@domain> (<eBay name>) hasn't accepted yet", and then has a Cancel button alongside. As I said before, I have not been able to contact them since notifying them of the problem. The email address for the receiver was valid enough to allow communication between us earlier, and, contacting eBay, they were able to confirm that the payment had been made by me; hence the seller sending the item. My query now relates to what happens within Paypal; does it just sit there waiting to be accepted?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MrBL

I am aware its pending / unclaimed with a cancel option and that is why i gave you the correct advice above.

If you don't believe me then try paypal.

https://www.paypal.com/uk/selfhelp/article/can-i-cancel-a-paypal-payment-faq637

You may only cancel a payment in your 'Pending' payments which shows as Unclaimed, meaning it hasn’t reached the intended recipient. These payments are displayed with a ‘Cancel’ button alongside.

In other words that email address is NOT on the sellers Ebay auction and he has made a mistake with the one entered.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

MrBL
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply. I will copy and paste your solution into a text and send it to the person via eBay messages, even though I am getting no response from them when I make contact. However, since they were going to contact Paypal, presumably they would have got the same advice from them. If, as appears, they have/will do nothing about it for whatever reason, what happens within Paypal? Does the attempt to pay simply reside there forever more, or, as would seem a more logical and complete solution, do they send out warnings to the person and then eventually just cancel? The question of email addresses is somewhat confusing since the person's email address is the same in eBay and Paypal. Looking at the person's feedback history, they have purchased items, presumably using Paypal, over a reasonable period without any problems. This is, however, their first sale, so it would suggest a problem in registration rather than a mis-spelling.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MrBL

If there is a cancel option then just cancel the payment.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.