Unauthorized Transaction! Dispute/Claim

sammckeehan
Contributor
Contributor

On October 11, 2020 at 4:33 am I was asleep when my phone went off and showed a Paypal transaction had just been made. I was half asleep but that woke me up right away. The charge was $85.98 and coming from a store I never heard of called Pet Supermarkets. I googled it and the nearest location to me was in Lake Tahoe. I live in Orange County California. I tried calling PayPal’s customer service phone number but obviously it was outside of their business hours. Okay so I wait til after 7am as that’s what the recording said. Call back around 7:30 am and hit 0 and say “speak to a representative”. It acts like it’s going to get someone on the line, only to say no one is available and to message them thru Message Center. Which I do. And just in case you’re thinking, why not just cancel the charge. Well I couldn’t, it did not give such an option. Because the transaction was “Pending” I couldn’t do anything but wait til it completed. Then I could dispute the charge. WHICH I DID as soon as it completed. Trust me I obsessed about this. May not be a lot of money for some, but I’m a single mom and every penny counts to me. I even contacted the Pet Supermarkets customer service number and the rep over there said he can’t help me since I don’t have an order number. No way to look the order up with my card info either. He refers me back to PayPal. So after I submit my dispute for an unauthorized transaction, literally 2 or 3 hours later, I check the status and it says “Case Closed: Covered By PayPal - Funds will be returner to original method of payment”. Message the rep and asked how long til I get my money returned. He says 3-5 business days and in some cases up to a full billing cycle. More waiting and more time goes by and still nothing. When I message again, he tells me chase is still under review and “just keep an eye on your email”. I don’t understand why I’m seeing that the case is closed and my money is being returned. Only for them to say the opposite!!!!! Then I go online and read about all the similar issues others have had with this fraud of a company called Paypal. How are they allowed to operate and take people’s money offering no explanation. You can’t get anyone on the phone and the message center is a joke. It’s like talking to a robot with broken English. I filed a police report and my lawyer is taking over from here. Yes even for such a small amount I will sue them for the lies and fraudulent activity they put me and so many others through.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@sammckeehan 

So you are told it may take up to x1 billing cycle ie 30 days to return to your funding source and you are calling paypal scammers after only 7 days?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Poco_Max
New Community Member

Yes they are scammers. It doesn't take 30 days. It takes 30 seconds. I have the same problem with an unauthorized charge that is pending. They should have a button to at least put it on hold. Before seller charges you. No they wait until seller charges you to do something about. That's not right! They are playing with your money while they are making money! Then it takes a  longer time to see your hard earn cash again.

Login to Me Too

Melsat1st
New Community Member

I am wondering if you got this handled - I also go a strange email from PayPal that there were purchased and withdrawals made.  I do not use Paypal hardly at all so I was surprised to see this.  Someone added a card to my account put a phone number on my account and acted as I was the seller and withdrew the funds to a card that wasn't mine- which looked like a gift card.  I have called a million times only to have them say they can't support my call and left many messages- I can't dispute the claim because they archived all the charges and now my account actually says its overdrawn and that I need to deposit money.  I had one representative call back and say they have taken care of it only to find out they haven't.  I am so over Paypal and have even tried to close my account except it won't allow me to....so frustrated and feel your pain.  I have called to make a report with the police department and BBB but I am not sure what to do at this point - I can get a hold of nobody.

Login to Me Too

Razster
New Community Member
Same issue. They sent me $78 and disputed that I never sent them a package slip. I do not sell items I use PayPal for online streaming services and nothing more. It’s some Chinese website that made a profile linking to my email. I disputed the claim and still was fined $15.00.
Login to Me Too

Scahuich
New Community Member
The same thing happen to me! On 01/25/2021 around 1. I had purchased something on that day and just went to go see that the transaction was processing. But when I got there I had seen that someone had made a purchase for $110.79 and I was so confused cause I didn’t make that payment. So I went to go see the information about this purchase and they placed that they wanted the package ship to NY. I don’t live in NY or no anyone in NY. Then I went to go check my actual bank account and had seen that they were 5 other transactions but the weird thing is that they had sent money and then took it away ? But they purchased $1000+ stuff ( I am a college student and I need that money cause I’m not rich) it went thew. I could contact a representative at PayPal and thus called my bank and they said they’ll take care of it. I honestly don’t need this stress I have enough of it.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.