Transferring money from Germany to US

DaveGreiner
Contributor
Contributor

My family is sending us some money for personal use and not for business, sales or services related.  I cannot tell what fees if any would be charged.  Also is there a conversion fee for Euros to USD in this case?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Timm
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hello @DaveGreiner,

Thank you for reaching out on PayPal's Community Forum! As the recipient of a Personal Payment you may not experience any fees yourself, however there are some variables to be aware of. If they send the amount to you in USD there would be no fees that you would pay, if they send it in Euro and you choose to convert the funds to USD there would be a fee of 2.5% added into the conversion.

The sender of the funds would experience a fee. Upon reviewing the user agreement for German PayPal accounts, they would receive only a flat fee of 1,99 EUR if they fund the transaction via their bank account. If they fund the transaction from any other source (like a credit card) there would be the fee of 1,99 EUR, and additional fee amounts of 1.90% plus $0.30 USD. As well, if their funding source is in Euro and they send it it to you in USD, they would also incur the same 2.5% conversion fee too.

I hope this helps to clarify!

~Timm

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

PayPal_Timm
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hello @DaveGreiner,

Thank you for reaching out on PayPal's Community Forum! As the recipient of a Personal Payment you may not experience any fees yourself, however there are some variables to be aware of. If they send the amount to you in USD there would be no fees that you would pay, if they send it in Euro and you choose to convert the funds to USD there would be a fee of 2.5% added into the conversion.

The sender of the funds would experience a fee. Upon reviewing the user agreement for German PayPal accounts, they would receive only a flat fee of 1,99 EUR if they fund the transaction via their bank account. If they fund the transaction from any other source (like a credit card) there would be the fee of 1,99 EUR, and additional fee amounts of 1.90% plus $0.30 USD. As well, if their funding source is in Euro and they send it it to you in USD, they would also incur the same 2.5% conversion fee too.

I hope this helps to clarify!

~Timm

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.