Transaction as buisness but been asked to send as friend or family

jay_angel1987
New Community Member

How far does buyer protection go? I have paid for a holiday via paypal to someone who hires out their caravan, I paid a deposit (plus £2 as suggested to cover Paypal cost) then asked to pay final balance, I have done this to then receive a reply stating because I paid via business they have been charged and I should have paid as friends or family? Obviously I know this is about protection offered but should I be paying their fee? I don't see it as my problem, can I request refund as I feel the situation is dodgy even though I have not been on holiday yet and received their 'service'

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jay_angel1987

You have no Paypal buyer protection if you use the friends / family route and also its against Paypal rules to do so and can lead to your and the sellers accounts being suspended.

Also your seller is only allowed to surcharge AS LONG AS they have told you that they are going to do so BEFORE you complete the transaction.

You can open a dispute for 'service not recieved' but you may not have any buyer protection as Paypal does not cover 'real estate' ie holidays etc, HOWEVER if you funded that Paypal payment via a credit card then you could contact your card issuer and see if they will chargeback for you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

jay_angel1987
New Community Member

Thank you for this, I have it all on email that he wants to refund what he received as I paid as business, for me to pay via family as pay the extra amount he has been charged, which is completely ridiculous but I would rather get most of my refund back and go to disputed to claim back my deposit than loose out on the whole amount straight away if that makes sense? 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.