This man is an online fraudster ? Help me to analyze please.

sadaniya
New Community Member

Hey, guys 

I’m selling goods on gumtree, and one customer asks me to sent the item to overseas. And he claims that he has transferred money to me. 

I do received an email from “official agency” , however the mail which I received notification of pending payment is not the mail which I registered for PayPal. And I didn’t see any transfer in my PayPal account. 

Here is the email of transfer(it looks like a fake one)

could you guys help me with this situation

1C9881C9-B548-4CB6-9D82-771B667E9FE2.jpegA9173F70-7222-4972-BD49-3C74476F0CDE.jpeg

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@sadaniya

CAN'T SEE YOUR SCREENSHOTS AS THEY TAKE A FEW HOURS TO BE APPROVED AND SHOW UP BUT READ THE BELOW AND SEE IF IT FITS.

IF ITS NOT THE BELOW THEN TRY ADDING YOUR OTHER EMAIL ADDRESS TO YOUR PAYAPL ACCOUNT AND VERIFYING IT AND SEE IF THE FUNDS SHOW UP.

SCAM.

They encourage you to accept a 'direct' Paypal payment and may ask you to send the item internationally.
No funds or activity of the transaction shows in your Paypal account and any emails 'may' go into your junk or spam folders.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't because they don't actually have a Paypal account and have no intention of paying you.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.
They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.
Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@sadaniya

CAN'T SEE YOUR SCREENSHOTS AS THEY TAKE A FEW HOURS TO BE APPROVED AND SHOW UP BUT READ THE BELOW AND SEE IF IT FITS.

IF ITS NOT THE BELOW THEN TRY ADDING YOUR OTHER EMAIL ADDRESS TO YOUR PAYAPL ACCOUNT AND VERIFYING IT AND SEE IF THE FUNDS SHOW UP.

SCAM.

They encourage you to accept a 'direct' Paypal payment and may ask you to send the item internationally.
No funds or activity of the transaction shows in your Paypal account and any emails 'may' go into your junk or spam folders.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't because they don't actually have a Paypal account and have no intention of paying you.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.
They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.
Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Manny171
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@sadaniya

I'm trying to Help you here I'm from United States & I never heard of (Gumtree) so I had to educate myself really quickly.

this site? reminds me of (Craigslist) but Gumtree looks like it's owned by Ebay

if you ever shopped on Ebay? treat it that way or call an Ebay Agent for Help

I feel like the person your dealing with? is trying to Steal from you. the reason why I feel that? is because Gumtree feels like Craigslist

if I was you? 1st know the policy of (Gumtree) & what do you do of shipping goods etc especially overseas that don't make sense.

#1 (Don't) respond to Emails I never do that always go to Gumtree & check for notifications if they provide that.

#2 this guy? the Buyer? sounds like he's doing something that people do on Craigslist don't engage with him too much if the (BUYER) has a Paypal? than the money should transfer to YOU EASY.

#3 this is where I dont like he wants the item shipped overseas? that's weird

if for example I live in United States & I want to buy something from Gumtree I use my Paypal so we understand each other & once I (BUY) your stuff? you will be shipping it to me but if I tell you to Transfer it to say Canada or Mexico but I live in United States? that's a Red Flag.

maybe this person is trying to be a (MIDDLEMAN) & it could be Harmless but? what makes this Difficult? is that this person wants you to (RE ROUTE) the item? that CONCERNS Me.

for ONE Paypal his account only ship to him of the Address Provided on his (PAYPAL ACCOUNT) never re route anything maybe the Paypal is Hijacked & it's a thief trying to get you to re route the item & that account has been stolen by the actual Owner you could be Liable for that. don't make the DEAL!!.

don't Engage with the Email anymore check & only deal with people through the Website (Gumtree) where you are in Control & the Deal takes place treat it like if you was dealing with Craigslist & that is a DANGEROUS Place we Americans are Dangerous people 😂

these are the tips for you

#1 all Deals should be made with (Paypal) I can see Gumtree deals that way

#2 ask the Buyer more questions to see if they are playing Games to steal the item & take there money back from you by saying they never got the item.

#3 if your not sure? of what you are doing? talk to a Gumtree Professional whether it be live chat if they have one or Call them on the Phone.

#4 Never Engage in an Email sometimes it looks legit & it could be but you should be able to see the information on Gumtree Notification they are powered by Ebay they are the owner so it should work the same I always use Ebay I sell stuff & buy stuff there & Paypal & Ebay always has my back. they take care of you

#5 keep record of the conversation you had with the Buyer to make sure till the transaction is complete. keep everything your going to need it for Paypal & Gumtree in case this person Tries to steal from you.

Hope that information Helps & I can't see the information you posted sorry. but from what I read? it sounds like this person is playing a what I call a Craigslist move. I say be careful friend. let me know how it goes.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.