Think I might be getting scammed

rickyy
New Community Member
Sold an item on gumtree and buyer has emailed me to say funds have been payed including money for postage/courier, and I should transfer said amount to a bank account to pay for transport before money for item I am selling is released into my pp account, is there a way of finding out if the id/ transaction number attached to what seem like genuine pp emails is well.....genuine, or is the buyer trying to pull a fast one
Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@rickyy 

Scam. PayPal does not ask you to pay them with a separate to get paid like this scammer is doing. If someone really paid, you will see record of payment in your PayPal account in either the available balance or pending balance if your payment is subject to the 21 day PayPal funds availability hold. 

Contact PayPal customer service to check if the transaction ID is valid or not. But that part about you sending money to a bank account before PayPal funds are released to your account is highly suspect and not how PayPal works.

To contact customer service for assistance:

Click HELP at the top menu, scroll down to click CONTACT US, and then scroll down to click CALL US.

Say "Live Agent" to the automated recording.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

rickyy
New Community Member
That's what I thought, cant see any pending transaction, this is the 1st I've used pp for receiving payment for goods, so thank you for your help
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.