Text phishing scam??

Victorthesecond
New Community Member

Sorry if this has been raised before....I;ve just received a text from <removed> saying (I quote exactly): "Your PayPal has been temporarily Limited! You have 24H to confirm account information or your account will be locked:!

Then there is a link which I'm not going to follow.

I've logged in to my account and all is fine. This looks like one of the scamming low-life turds, so I've blocked the number as well. And changed my password....

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Victorthesecond

Its a spoof, DO NOT USE ANY LINK.

Firstly if the email addressed you as ''Dear Member'' / ''Customer'' / ''Client'' OR your ''email address'' then that confirms its a spoof as paypal would address you by your full name eg Dear John Smith.

Secondly if there was a link OR attachment in that email to ''cancel'' the transaction or ''confirm'' any details then again it would be a spoof.

If there was a problem with your account paypal would not ask you to click on an unsafe link in an email or by downloading an attachment, they would direct you to log in normally and go to the resolution or the message centre for more information.

More info here >>
https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/how-to-spot-fake-emails-faq2340/2

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
13 REPLIES 13
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Victorthesecond

Its a spoof, DO NOT USE ANY LINK.

Firstly if the email addressed you as ''Dear Member'' / ''Customer'' / ''Client'' OR your ''email address'' then that confirms its a spoof as paypal would address you by your full name eg Dear John Smith.

Secondly if there was a link OR attachment in that email to ''cancel'' the transaction or ''confirm'' any details then again it would be a spoof.

If there was a problem with your account paypal would not ask you to click on an unsafe link in an email or by downloading an attachment, they would direct you to log in normally and go to the resolution or the message centre for more information.

More info here >>
https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/how-to-spot-fake-emails-faq2340/2

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

LynnIreson
New Community Member

Had the same today. <removed> 2 April 2018

Login to Me Too

jennscakes
Contributor
Contributor

I had one this afternoon, just about an hour ago.  From <removed>   stating: Your PayPal has been temporarily locked. You have 36H to confirm the account information or your account will be closed: <removed>... something. don't want to click on it. 

Have blocked the number. My account seems fine! 😉 

Login to Me Too

Liame87
New Community Member

I have just had a text saying: Your PayPal has been frozen because we are unable to validate your account information.Please login to verify your account: <removed> From no. <removed>. If anyone can verify if this is a scam I’d be grateful.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Liame87 

read the info and link i already posted above?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Jamierowe123
Contributor
Contributor
I received the very same text. I clicked the link and it takes you to a spoofed Paypal page where all it asks you to do is log in to your account. Looks legit. I was then contacted next day via phone by somebody claiming to be from my bank saying he was aware of a Paypal scam effecting nationwide customers and started asking me really dodgy questions about my bank accounts and even had the audacity to ask me to move money from my savings account into a “new safe account” Definate scam and quite sophisticated as well. The number they rang me on completely mimicked Nationwide’s official number.
Login to Me Too

Gibraltar1
Contributor
Contributor
I have had a text saying if I don’t verify my identity my pay pal account will be blocked The telephone no i[Removed. Phone #s not permitted]
Login to Me Too

R0bbie

Must be still happening because I had a text from a <removed>number saying "Your PayPaI account has been temporarily limited due to suspicious activity. Please follow the link to restore access: <removed>" at Sunday 7th of April at 16:25PM

Login to Me Too

Semps

i've had 2x texts within hour & half today.

1 from <removed> and 1 from <removed>

click the link to unsuspend your account.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.