Text message from <removed>

Rutro
New Community Member

I received a txt from <removed> asking the following is this from paypal?

Msg from PayPal: Transaction of -$**.00 USD with The **** **** on May 9, 2017 has been marked as suspicious. Reply "Yes" if authorized or "No" if not authorized.

I did make the transaction but have never received this before and in todays world, one never knows.

THX

Login to Me Too
75 REPLIES 75

zagman76
New Community Member

While I understand that <removed> is a SMS short-code owned by PayPal.  SMS is able to be spoofed.

Is the domain py.pl owned by PayPal, and actively used by PayPal in their SMS messages?  The WHOIS info for that domain in no way indicates that it's a legit PayPal domain.

Login to Me Too

WymanWood
Contributor
Contributor

You are right - the py.pl link is bogus. Dont click on it. I called paypal - they only use paypal.com in their links

Login to Me Too

Eonyi

I do believe it is valid. If you google paypal text message. The number comes up on there website.

Login to Me Too
Solved

PayPal_Olivia

Hi everyone,

I wanted to pop into this thread because there's been a lot of different information over the past few years. Our knowledge has been updated and clarification is needed.

PayPal uses a couple of different short SMS numbers for communication. However, as any number can be spoofed, it would be wise not to rely on the appearance of a specific number to confirm that a text message is legitimate. Since phone numbers are not permitted in the community for a variety of reasons, the SMS numbers have been removed from this thread. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

If you receive an SMS asking you to reply with a 1 or 2 to confirm the legitimacy of the payment, it is likely from PayPal. However, responding is completely optional. If the transaction is not authorized, you can also go to your PayPal account and report unauthorized activity there. If you ever have any doubts, it's always safer to log in to your account from a fresh browser window at PayPal.com and get the lay of the land from there.

If a transaction is in fact legitimately authorized, it is not necessary to respond to confirm it for the transaction to go through. However, confirming the transaction is helpful to the system to recognize what authorized activity in your account looks like.

I hope this information helps. 

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

mandyr22
New Community Member

Thanks for this, my phone is not letting me reply by SMS to PayPal? don't know why.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.