Text message from PayPal about limited account?

Toodalou
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all I've just received a text message supposedly from PayPal, from the number , saying: PayPal:Your account is limited due to a failed payment request from UBER BV. Please login at to remove the restriction. I've logged in through my app and haven't had any messages or pop ups or anything come up to support the message, all seems normal that I can see.. I have seen about PayPal text message scams before, has anyone else had any of these texts recently? I don't want to ignore it if it is genuine! Thanks.

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Toodalou 

If its a spoof, NEVER USE ANY LINK.

Firstly if the email/ text addressed you as ''Dear Member'' / ''Customer'' / ''Client'' OR your ''email address'' then that confirms its a spoof as paypal would address you by your full name eg Dear John Smith.

Secondly if there was a link OR attachment in that email link to ''cancel'' any transaction or ''confirm'' any details then again it would be a spoof.

If there was a problem with your account Paypal would not ask you to click on an unsafe link in an email or by downloading an attachment, they would direct you to log in normally and go to the resolution or the message centre for more information.

More info here >>
https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/phishing
https://www.paypal.com/uk/smarthelp/article/how-would-i-spot-fake-emails-faq2340

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

corlito
New Community Member

Yeah i had the same text message today tried to contact PayPal thru my account instead of clicking the link definite scam going to call PayPal tomorrow and report it t one of there call centre staff maybe it will do some good .

Login to Me Too

WeAreNotAmused
New Community Member

Me too. <removed> was the number. I checked my account the conventional way and saw no problems.

Login to Me Too

Birdieword
New Community Member

Yes I had the exact same text! I did the same and logged in through the site, never click on links from texts, and I also had no notifications etc. on my account. I updated my security settings just in case. The number sent from was <removed>in case anyone else gets a text from this number, this is spam!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.