cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text message from 729-725

New Community Member

Re: Text message from 729-725

I got a text from the same number with with a confirmation code - twice. But I havent made any transactions using paypal. This looks like a phishing expedition.

New Community Member

I also received this text today regarding a legit transaction I made. I immediately thought this was a scam because the second "authorize" is spelled "ahorize" - any explanation for this? I would expect a banking company to at least proof read their messages.

I have an explanation, the message was NOT from paypal. I got one this morning just after 7:00 am saying a charge was declined, one I knew nothing about so I thought ok this is weird as I have never had texts from this place before or anywhere actually that I do business with. I couldn't get an answer here for some reason and it would not let me post here at that time either. 

Anyway, I contacted my phone company and they confirmed the text came from a 3rd party. So I would put no trust in anything from that number, Get online and check, there was no activity on my account over this either. The number 729725 did not have a hyphen in it either if that makes a difference though.  thats what I found out about it..

Tags (1)

Wdfp: did you recently get a new cell phone number? I think it's been established here that PalPal isn't checking their phone numbers - to make sure that a cell number that belonged to an account at one time, hasn't been reissued to someone else by a phone carrier. It would explain how you got a text for activity that isn't yours.

Do not know how that could possibly make a difference, the text originated outside of Paypal, spoofed their #. Anyway, no I have had this # for quite some time

New Community Member

Just got one of these, myself.

Paypal DOES use this number for sending MFA codes. The thing is, Paypal clearly doesn't own or operate the number directly, they just use a notification service (like Amazon SNS) to send the messages on their behalf.

It appears that someone figured out what service Paypal uses for SMS notifications and decided to use that same service to send scam messages impersonating Paypal. You should not trust any messages from this number as it's clearly been compromised.