Text from 729725 feels like a scam?

Lyphe
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I just received a text from 729725 asking me to confirm a purchase I just made.  I did just make the purchase.  And the amount is correct.  I also see that 729725 is 'supposed' to be paypal ... BUT ... when I got to press 1 and confirm, it then tells me that rates and related charges may apply to the reply.  This last part is sketchy as hell.

Anyone else have experience with this and able to tell me if this is legit?

Thx.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @Lyphe,

Thank you for your post! I'm sorry that you've encountered something that caused concern. The last message is probably from your phone or provider, letting you know that messaging to a 6 digit number may count as a premium text, and may result in rates charged by your provider. It also may not, but you would want to check with your service provider to make sure.

If you receive a text from the security system about a recent payment and you have actually made the payment, you can ignore the text if you don't wish to reply. The payment will already have gone through. If you ever get a text that indicates a transaction that you did not make, responding to the text is one way to indicate that the transaction is unauthorized. Another way to do so is to follow these steps. For your safety, do not ever click a link in a text message, as it could potentially be a fake text and the link may not lead you to the official PayPal site.

It sounds like this was a legitimate text, since the information matches the payment that you completed.

I hope this helps set your mind at ease!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

cutterstoneca
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Olivia, that was good to know that I didn't have to reply. The text states Reply Needed, and I was unable to respond (that was a whole different issue)! My main concern was that I purchased a shipping label, and didn't want to label to become void. Now I know I can ignore it, and the text could say this to avoid confusion. (If this is a valid purchase, there is no need to respond.)

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.