Text Message - scam?

SteveWilliams1
New Community Member

Just received a text message from PPAlerts saying my paypal account is under review please log in to avoid any restrictions. The website ended in .org . I just deleted it, has anyone else received such a text and is it a scam?

Login to Me Too
12 REPLIES 12

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SteveWilliams1

If its a spoof, DO NOT USE ANY LINK.

Firstly if the email/ text addressed you as ''Dear Member'' / ''Customer'' / ''Client'' OR your ''email address'' then that confirms its a spoof as paypal would address you by your full name eg Dear John Smith.

Secondly if there was a link OR attachment in that email link to ''cancel'' any transaction or ''confirm'' any details then again it would be a spoof.

If there was a problem with your account Paypal would not ask you to click on an unsafe link in an email or by downloading an attachment, they would direct you to log in normally and go to the resolution or the message centre for more information.

More info here >>
https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/phishing
https://www.paypal.com/uk/smarthelp/article/how-would-i-spot-fake-emails-faq2340

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Jessrandell
Contributor
Contributor
I signed in stupidly wanted all my info card number ect so new was fake then and changed my password 🤦🏻‍♀️ I used PayPal over 10 times in past couple of days so thought may be because I've paid so much with account at first
Login to Me Too

FR8
New Community Member
Same here - I’ve blocked and forwarded to the Mobile Networks Complaints Number (7726). The only thing is I can’t pick up the number it was sent from - it seems to be masked.
Login to Me Too

Tigerlily2007
New Community Member

Tried blocking PPAlert on my iPhone but mob telephone number doesn’t show.  

Ive had two txts today.  

So annoying.  

Login to Me Too

Walliextc
I've also had 3 txt today too it's so annoying to know it is a scam I'd like to know where they got my number from cos I have used pay pal for a long time now
Login to Me Too

Margey
New Community Member
And me but twice. Quite determined the scammy blighters. I would not trust itbeing genuine. If you press but hold the link, it will give you the url addresss
Login to Me Too

AMcRae78
New Community Member
Me too!
Login to Me Too

Dobbs1
Same here. I blocked any texts with the same URL as shown in the text. On Samsung: Messages app -> 3 dots (top right) -> Settings -> Block Messages -> Block Phrases -> Enter the URL and press green + button. No more texts with this phrase! You can press and hold the original message to copy the text but you can't paste into the Blocked Phase panel as is too long. You will need to paste and edit elsewhere or just use the first part I include here: pay-pal.online-restrictions
Login to Me Too

MC_BêBê
Contributor
Contributor
Got two text messages so far. I tried to block PPALERT but didn’t succeed as no number is appearing. The link I got finished with .net Didn’t click on it but checked my account by logging in normally and all is fine. Definitely a SCAM
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.