Text Message from 729-725

Lori428
New Community Member

Hello, I just received a text message "PayPal: You have paid $38.89 USD to Motoscoot. View Receipt: Https://www.paypal.com/....." I have not purchased anything thru PayPal in years.  When I log on to my account, it shows no activity.  I proceeded to add security questions, received a text from the same number with a code to verify the changes.  I am really confused.  Are scammers using this number as well as PayPal?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Lori428 

If its a spoof, DO NOT USE ANY LINK.

Firstly if the email/ text addressed you as ''Dear Member'' / ''Customer'' / ''Client'' OR your ''email address'' then that confirms its a spoof as paypal would address you by your full name eg Dear John Smith.

Secondly if there was a link OR attachment in that email link to ''cancel'' any transaction or ''confirm'' any details then again it would be a spoof.

If there was a problem with your account Paypal would not ask you to click on an unsafe link in an email or by downloading an attachment, they would direct you to log in normally and go to the resolution or the message centre for more information.

More info here >>
https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/how-to-spot-fake-emails-faq2340/2

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/security/suspicious-activity

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Lori428
New Community Member

Thank you for your response.  Just to clarify, this was a text with a link to supposedly view a receipt, not an email. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Lori428 

did i not say email OR text in my post above?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Lori428
New Community Member

Sorry, I just went back and checked, you did.  I will delete the text.

Thank you!

Login to Me Too

Steviehoang
Contributor
Contributor
I have a message from 729 725. Message content: [PayPal] Did you pay $ to •••••••• Inc. on November 29, 2019? Reply 1 if yes or 2 if no. [Reply Needed]. what will I do ? . hope for the help
Login to Me Too

Val_12345
New Community Member
Similar issue happened with me. I received the text "PayPal: A payment of $77.03 USD to ????????????? was sent from your PayPal account on April 20, 2020. For additional details, please log in to PayPal." I only responded with "This was for a massage gun from the vendor Superon-C". Then I got the response "Please reply Yes or No to confirm whether the transaction is authorized." I didn't confirm but only said "Who am I speaking with?". Haven't yet gotten another text back. I have a message into paypal customer service waiting on a response
Login to Me Too

Antinome
New Community Member
I received a message from same #, only it said, "Enter your code on the PayPal website. CODE: 597146. Msg and data rates may apply. Reply HELP for help, STOP to cancel." Never specified as to what the code even pertained to.
Login to Me Too

Qxxx6
New Community Member
I'm Chinese so I get Chinese text. And it ask me if I'm paying 900$. That's so strange… I think it's scam text.
Login to Me Too

Blackjob9
New Community Member

I just got this text and after thinking it was fake for a while, I realized I had an automatic payment due and it was real and paypal was making sure that I wanted to pay it.

I just said I didn't and there was no link to follow after that. Cheers

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.