Text Message : account blocked due to safety concerns

Standerleybean
Contributor
Contributor

can anyone help.  I have received a text from PayPal (realise now it might not be).  It states that my account is blocked due to safety concerns.  I dont usually respond to these but I logged on and updated my security info including bank details.  Have I gone through an initial portal that has given access to some creep or is this kosher?  I have contact PayPal cost assistance and they say in their bot reply that I have issue :Reference ID: PP-008-684-597-601

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Standerleybean 

If its a spoof, NEVER USE ANY LINK.

Firstly if the email/text addressed you as ''Dear Member'' / ''Customer'' / ''Client'' OR your ''email address'' then that confirms its a spoof as paypal would address you by your full name eg Dear John Smith.

Secondly if there was a link OR attachment in that email/text to ''cancel'' any transaction or ''confirm'' any details then again it would be a spoof.

If there was a problem with your account Paypal would not ask you to click on an unsafe link in an email or by downloading an attachment, they would direct you to log in normally and go to the resolution or the message centre for more information.

More info here >>
https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/how-to-spot-fake-emails-faq2340/2
https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/security/suspicious-activity

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Standerleybean
Contributor
Contributor

ok, it was a text message that I received.  I never respond to these and if it had been an email I would have binned it.  I was fooled as when I clicked the link it went straight to PayPal and all looked ok.  It was only when I received another text today and got part way in I thought it could be dodgy.  

When I contacted PayPal they did mention that there was one limitation on the account but that may be coincidence.  

Problem is as they have barely any staff in due to cover restrictions it will take a while to get a response from them.  I guess thats why the scammers are hard at it at the minute as they know assistance or resolution for customers will be more difficult 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.