Temporarily suspended account?

Loosechange
Contributor
Contributor

I received a text puporting to come from PayPal saying that my account has been temporarily suspended and asking me to confirm my ID. I haven't replied to this in case it's a scam. I've tried to contact PayPal to check whether this is genuine, but there seems no way of doing this.

Login to Me Too
11 REPLIES 11

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Loosechange

If its a spoof, DO NOT USE ANY LINK.

Firstly if the email/ text addressed you as ''Dear Member'' / ''Customer'' / ''Client'' OR your ''email address'' then that confirms its a spoof as paypal would address you by your full name eg Dear John Smith.

Secondly if there was a link OR attachment in that email to ''cancel'' the transaction or ''confirm'' any details then again it would be a spoof.

If there was a problem with your account paypal would not ask you to click on an unsafe link in an email or by downloading an attachment, they would direct you to log in normally and go to the resolution or the message centre for more information.

More info here >>

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/phishing

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

NickHertler88
Contributor
Contributor
And I just got a call from someone just now saying my service is restricted. Am I **bleep**?
Login to Me Too

NickHertler88
Contributor
Contributor

<removed>

Login to Me Too

cthomas23
Contributor
Contributor
im literately so mad at myself for not double checking if it was a scam when i got the same type of email apparently about an hr before making a couple of purchases online(which seemed to go through fine) so i was confused when i saw it, and thought well ok maybe this is legit bc ive had **bleep** happen the past few weeks dealing with an issue of getting refunded through it so i figured it was yet another thing to go wrong for me and OF COURSE ended up giving the info needed, so yea im feeling like a fool and now keeping a closer eye on my account especially until i know the transactions fully go through and this fake **bleep** doesnt **bleep** me over ughh
Login to Me Too

Redtrotsky
New Community Member

Seems the scam still going on. Just received a message claiming account is suspended due to “suspected unauthorized access” and asking to go via a link to “suspended-user-papal.com” to unlock account. I didn’t click so don’t know what is asked down that rabbit hole. Instead logged in through a PayPal website. No sign of suspension... it is worrying though that scammers seem to know my number and that I have accessed my account previously today, made changes to the account and whilst doing that I have attempted a few times to log in because couldn’t remember my login details. So on the surface the message is very realistic and timely! Text came from a number which is shown as full U.K. number with country code. Real PayPal sent me text previously which only have 5 digits as “sender”. Anyway, be careful. Never click links!

Login to Me Too

Radtefii
New Community Member
I got the same message not sure how I can report them the thing looks legit but the link shows this https://maugimanalagicak.org/thomas1.php
Login to Me Too

Gordon84
New Community Member

RC-Cola
New Community Member
I got an email that shunted me to that website as well. I didn’t type anything in, so I hope just clicking the link didn’t let them get anything.
Login to Me Too

NickHertler88
Contributor
Contributor
I got one of these emails on the 18th of June I thought it was genuine what do I do?
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.