Suspicious text messages

judip
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I made a purchase this morning via Paypal which was for quite a lot more than I would normally pay for on my account.  One  hour later I received a message from 62226 concerning the transaction which said that the transaction was marked suspicious and to please reply "1" if authorised or "2" if not authorised.  I started to message "1" back but was warned by my mobile that I would incur a charge for this.  

I telephoned  Paypal but could not speak to a real person.  I did however during the course of the telephone call, confirm that the last five transactions (including the one today) had been authorised by myself.  Some time later I have again received a message exactly the same as above.  My instinct tells me to delete the message but has anyone else had this type of problem please??  PS I have checked my account and the transaction looks as though it is going through OK.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Martina
Administrator
Administrator

Hi judip,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Community forum!

From what you mentioned, it sounds like our security system detected a high-risk transaction and asked your authorisation to proceed with the payment. Usually, this may happen if you made a payment of a higher-than-usual amount or if the system is afraid that you did not authorise the transaction.

I hope this helps!

Martina 

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

PayPal_Martina
Administrator
Administrator

Hi judip,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Community forum!

From what you mentioned, it sounds like our security system detected a high-risk transaction and asked your authorisation to proceed with the payment. Usually, this may happen if you made a payment of a higher-than-usual amount or if the system is afraid that you did not authorise the transaction.

I hope this helps!

Martina 

Login to Me Too

Greta02
New Community Member

Yes I just received the same text message. I did however go ahead and type 1 as I had made the purchase only for it to fail to send back to that number. Not a credit on phone issue or signal but it wouldn’t let me confirm it was correct. It just kept saying message failed. I’ve checked my account and all seems to be ok and going through.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.