Suspecting fraud pls help

jayce13
Contributor
Contributor

I posted the item on eBay and a buyer respond with higher price to buy my item. At first she asked me to reach out to her email so I did, the buyer name is Caitlyn <removed> and after asking me about the condition of the bag we are cool to agree at offer price she made. Later, she asked if I could get a Steam gift card include in the item to send over and she increase the offer price to much higher, I am starting to wonder the amount of money she is willing to pay and I received the email "Payment confirmation" claiming from Paypal but is in gmail. It stated my fund is pending and will be release to me once I provide and verify the evidence of purchasing gift card. I was very confused and try to contact the buyer but she just ask me to verify once and the fund will be release. I am starting to think this is a legit fraud as the email claiming they are from paypal is in gmail, and they send 3 more email afterwards to inform me that I will face legal actions if I do not verify the evidence of purchasing gift card. I am not sure where should I reach to, Paypal or eBay but I could used some thoughts from you guys here.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jayce13 

SCAM.
They may buy on Ebay but they use an anonymous or hijacked Ebay account and DO NOT have a Paypal account so they can't use Ebay checkout.

They encourage you to accept a 'direct' Paypal payment and may not even want the item but they do want any scratch cards they can con you out of.
No funds or activity of the transaction shows in your Paypal account and any emails 'may' go into your junk/spam folders.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't because they don't actually have a Paypal account and have no intention of paying you.
They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide a scratch card number to 'verify' your sale....load of rubbish.

They also 'sometimes' threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.
Paypal NEVER expect you as a seller to provide a scratch card before payment to do anything paypal related for your account.
Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

jayce13
Contributor
Contributor
hi, truly appreciate for your help. Yeah I reckon is a scam cuz it threaten me that legal action will be made if I haven’t verify the gift card for them. I have blocked their emails and hopefully won’t get across with this BS ever. Thanks again!!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.