Suspected fraudulent charge - 402-935-7733

Rennieh
Contributor
Contributor

A charge for $12.73 has appeared on my bank statement citing "PayPal *Igottrade402-935-7733/VISA Purchase (non-pin) as the payee. There is no corresponding notation in my PayPal on-line records. This is my linked account.

I did a little research on line and found three totally different stories behind this. One says its a legitamate PayPal charge to cover insufficient funds in my PayPal account. Another says it is a scam and needs to be reported to both PayPal and my bank.

Which is correct? If it's ligit, why does it not show in my PalPal statement?

Login to Me Too
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Solved

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

See this info:

https://www.theinternetpatrol.com/are-you-showing-a-mystery-charge-from-402-935-7733-via-paypal-in-y...

www.theinternetpatrol.com wrote:

If you have been reviewing your bank records or credit card statement, and have found what you believe to be an unauthorized charge or charges that shows “Paypal” and the phone number 402-935-7733, take a deep breath, and relax. It may not be what you think. Here’s what that transaction really is.

This is how it appears on your bank statement or credit card transactions when you pay for something via Paypal, or something is otherwise charged to your Paypal account (such as through an automatic transaction, or using your Paypal debit card, for example), and you don’t actually have enough in your Paypal account to cover the charge.

Remember way back when, when you signed up for Paypal, and you had to provide a bank account or credit card as a backup billing method? That’s what that charge is. It is Paypal using your backup billing method to cover the shortfall because you dont’ have enough in your Paypal account.

We agree that they do a poor job of making that clear (and to be fair, it may be out of their hands in terms of how it shows up on your statement). But that’s what that charge with the phone number 402-935-7733 is.

Now, all that said, if you don’t have a Paypal account, or have not used it during the time that the transaction occurred, or otherwise don’t remember a purchase that correlates to that entry on your bank statement, by all means you should contact your bank, as it’s still entirely possible that it is fraudulant.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
Solved

CatticusCat
Contributor
Contributor

Here is where I found the number. On their page about help with "unauthorized transactions" on your PayPal Account. I tried to put a link to the page, and it would not let me submit my post, so here is what it says. I had to change the link a bit in the notify section because it still would not let me post it as a copy and paste:

Unauthorized transactions

If you think someone's used your account without permission, report it to us immediately and we'll help protect you. If you find a suspicious charge, an error, or some other unauthorized transaction when viewing your account, we may be able to help. Report it within 60 days of when it appeared on your statement and if unauthorized transactions are eligible, you won’t be held liable.

You can notify us in the following ways:

• For any type of unauthorized transaction or error, you can call our customer service at Go to https: // www . paypal. com / help and click "Call Us". You can also notify us in writing or online by following the instructions below.
  • Before notifying us, please double check that it’s not a transaction you might’ve simply forgotten, like a recurring payment for a magazine subscription.
Call us

For any type of unauthorized transaction or error, you can call our customer service at:

402-935-7733 

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
159 REPLIES 159

minty1
Advisor
Advisor

Hi Rennieh

Open a dispute for unauthorised transaction asap that way you will know for sure

Login to Me Too

Rennieh
Contributor
Contributor

I assume you mean with my bank as the charge does not appear in my PayPal records?

Login to Me Too

minty1
Advisor
Advisor

I would contact paypal and explain the situation they might have to open a case for you, if they cant help ask your bank if they can help you to chargeback

Login to Me Too

kbeck547
New Community Member

I see a transfer of $200.00 from my bank account to my paypal account. I did not ask to have this done. Can you please advise why this is being done? The transaction # is <removed>. Do not transfer any money from my bank account.

Ken Beck

Login to Me Too

minty1
Advisor
Advisor

Hi kbeck547 Open unauthorised payment dispute in the resolution centre ASAP Change your password and security questions Contact your bank We aren't ppal so we can't do anything from here

Login to Me Too

Lleelee4
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same charges with Edward <removed> on it and it even shows he had taken out a loan through Bill Me Later as well.  It's Paypals responsibiliyt to do the footwork on this and get our money back.  I'm not going to ask my bank to do one thing and I'm needing my money back asap.  Let me know if we can keep in contact to exchange notes on how things are going? 

Login to Me Too

jarhead66
New Community Member

Hi there,

Would "Edward's" last name be <removed>?

Won an eBay auction he had yesterday for sizable amount being silver bullion after which he convinced me to cancel and go through straight Pay/Pal instead saving couple hundred in the meantime. When I asked him about phone number 402-935-7733 credit card bank had on file he denied knowing it instead giving <removed> If this is the same guy keep away he's a shyster. His eBay user id is  <removed> and has only been a member since June of last year.    

Login to Me Too

oceania1916
New Community Member

I have to say by now I hope you've received your funds back. Why not contact your bank or credit card company and dispute the charge? They have an entire department just for this very purpose. The only work and time it will take from you is to send them a secure email via their banking website customer service page. 

Login to Me Too

HonestyAlways
Contributor
Contributor

Call your bank first and report it. If they cant help, dont worry, call paypal support and they will help you

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.