Suspected fraudulent charge - 402-935-7733

Rennieh
Contributor
Contributor

A charge for $12.73 has appeared on my bank statement citing "PayPal *Igottrade402-935-7733/VISA Purchase (non-pin) as the payee. There is no corresponding notation in my PayPal on-line records. This is my linked account.

I did a little research on line and found three totally different stories behind this. One says its a legitamate PayPal charge to cover insufficient funds in my PayPal account. Another says it is a scam and needs to be reported to both PayPal and my bank.

Which is correct? If it's ligit, why does it not show in my PalPal statement?

Login to Me Too
159 REPLIES 159

Datoad
New Community Member

I had a similar situation where London Trust Media charged a recurring payment to my PyPal account.  I cancelled with this compny the same day because they couldot fullfill what I asked.  They refunded the initial payment but evidently left the 3 month payments intact.  I cannot get information for them so I can call so I suspect a big scam in low amounts so most people won't complain.  I will.  Paypal had blocked any further charges from them on my account and is going to try to get me back my $18.99.

\We shall see. After 90 days I don't even remember what i tried to use them for.

Login to Me Too

slysnake96
New Community Member

all of these transactions from the number 402-935-7733 i have figured out are all from eBay when you buy something from there the money does not immediatley leave your account

Login to Me Too

FrameShooter
Contributor
Contributor

Wasn't a fraudulent charge for me - but I did double check with PayPal. The phone number is a PayPal phone number. The charge appeared because I ordered something online, used PayPal as my payment method, BUT chose to use a credit card not associated with my PayPal account. (I barely understand the mechanics and that's the best I can explain what I was told over the phone). PayPal rep helped my dig into the transaction and determine the actual seller's name and the product I purchased. So, everything is good, now.

Login to Me Too

Temp20230525af
New Community Member

The VFW Post 8307 in Layton Utah had a charge of $164.00 charged to its VISA Bank Card.  We did not even have a paypal account.  I now opened a Pay Pal account just to file a dispute....but the resolution reporting won't accept the transaction number. I have emailed you several times to try and find out about this charge.  The sequesnce number my bank gave me is <removed>. Please let me know how I can get  this resolved.

Login to Me Too

minty1
Advisor
Advisor

Hi post8307

It wont regonise the number because u opened the dispute after

Contact your card issuer/ bank and dispute/chargeback the payment.

If they cant chargeback contact ppal direct and ask if they can open an unauthorised transaction dispute

Use the contact tab on webpage, if u call dont select any options hold on until u speak to someone.

Login to Me Too

julieywayne
Contributor
Contributor

Same thing happened to me, a charge of $94.40 appeared from Paypal on my credit card, with this phone number, so I called it and the call will not go through. So I disputed it with the credit card. But Paypal is so difficult to report anything I couldn't report it to them. The charge did not show up on my Paypal statement so I had nothing to dispute there, so I couldn't report it to them. Glad I looked up the phone number and phone this thread about it.

Thanks everyone for your help!!

Login to Me Too

pskwiat01

We have a charge on our credit card statement in the amount of 225.00. The merchant name is <removed> and the date of transaction is 12/28

Login to Me Too

BYSELFMLS
New Community Member

First off you need to know if you check out at a merchants and manually enter your credt card number it will not show up in your paypal account, becuase paypal is just the  merchants processor in this case and it is not a paypal account transaction, just like if the merchant was using bank of america or well fargo or square up to process their credit card payment. Now if you choose to  log into your paypal account and then pay with one of your set u methood of payments like banjk acocunt or a credit or debit card of your choice. Before you go filing unauthorized charges you need to see if you maybe bought something from that merchant with that coresponding amount and not automatically go charging back merchant just in case. When you jump the gun you are costing the merchant time and a $20 charge back fee through the paypal account, and many merchants that use paypal to process their cards are mom and pop fmaily business that you are causing a hardship for because you cant recall making the purchase or didnt take the time to check the charge. I am one of those Mom and Pop business and recently had a customer do this assumihng FRAUD when he had already received his service and he read this thread which prompted him to file a unauthorized charge on a charge of nearly $300 for services he already received. I am thankful he replaced the payment but he sent me the link to this article as his reason behind what he did. I just caution you to make sure you didnt buy something before you start yelliing unauthoirzed charges because it is fraud on the consumers side to dispute charges they legitamately made and becuase it is jsut not right to do that to people with small business. 

Login to Me Too

Ludwiggo

So you all are getting CHARGES shown on your accounts.

Interestingly, On my PAyPal transactions, I show DEPOSITS INTO my account from 

Aeriala <removed>, small one, $2 or so and one for about $50.
What is going on here?

AERIALA just happens to be the 1sr 7 characters of a company i do business with.

And money is not coming from my bank account to cover purchases done with PayPal. PayPal is seldome used for purchases, and PayPal account has MORE than enough funds to cover anything.

Login to Me Too

temp1-1289F3
Contributor
Contributor

I just went through this. What makes it so confusing is that the charges are not on YOUR paypal acct. The way I understand it it that some scammer has used your charge card on THEIR acct. It seems my visa becomes compromised every couple years. Very fishy.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.