Strange - phony invoice received

gll2020
Contributor
Contributor

Hi folks,

Received a 'PayPal Invoice' for $46 that had the GoDaddy logo in the upper left corner. It referred to a inactive domain that I registered but haven't used as the 'invoice number'. Among the oddities is the fact that it states it is an invoice from Shestakov <removed> (albeit written in Cyrillic characters which are not permitted here)  and the associated email address is <removed>

Given that I have not (to my memory) ever had a 'PayPal' invoice from GoDaddy before - I was naturally curious.  Seems clear that this is a case of deceptive billing fraud.  I'm being invoiced by a 3rd party superficially pretending to be GoDaddy (showing the GoDaddy logo on the invoice, albeit the other identifying markers point elsewhere). 

I'm posting this for two reasons:

#1. Members of the community should watch out for 'odd invoices' that superficially look like they come from someone like GoDaddy but the 'Invoice from' name doesn't compute. 

#2. Risk management should be proactively investigating this relatively new (to me) scam and provide a link to dispute/call attention to presumably fake invoices users may receive. I suspect eastern European criminal activity here - I have had experience in these matters, have done battle with the various hackers etc. doing work in the data security field and managing payment processing over the years. 

The math looks like this (hypothetical instance) - 

If they send out 1000 well executed fake $46 invoices per day and score on 3% of them, that's $1,331.10 net (after paypal fees) revenue per day, $9,317.70 a week. close to a half million a year. The criminal gangs/teams in eastern Europe/Russia/Ukraine would cheerfully kill for that kind of money!  Creating 'fake PayPal accounts' or spoofing after successfully phishing and finding some relatively inactive by verified accounts they could hijack would seem to be a brilliant move in those circles.  They probably have several dozen accounts already 'in place' - risk management needs to focus on the first report of a 'fake invoice' and look at the traffic being generated by that account and for similar invoices showing up with an abrupt increase of activity from relatively inactive hereinbefore accounts. 

Just my 2¢ worth.

Regards,
gll2020

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

frogontv

that is very strange indeed

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

It is possible to mark invoice as canceled but then again I wonder if it is good idea to do that or just calling PayPal to wipe off the fake invoice from account.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Sleevindode
New Community Member

I just received the exact same today.  Phony looking invoice but made to appear legit with a GoDaddy logo.  I use GoDaddy so this is worrisome.  But I don't use GoDaddy with PayPal.

I hope PayPal does something about this.  Clearly some folks are targeting PayPal users and this does not provide any comfort in my use of PayPal.

I sent an email to paypal via their "spoof@paypal.com".  Hopefully I get a reply.

Login to Me Too

sanazsattari
Contributor
Contributor
Same happened to me today. Invoice for $49, supposedly from GoDaddy, but clearly they're not doing it right cause they forgot GoDaddy went through a rebrand and they don't use their old logo anymore... It says it's from someone called Victoria Wilson and in the email the invoice is from XIIDVEU Going to ignore the invoice for now.
Login to Me Too

gll2020
Contributor
Contributor

My solution as well - ignore the invoice.  I reported it to PayPal, hopefully someone in risk management will see a growing stack of comparable complaints and chase these hooligans away. 

Login to Me Too

WhiteRabbit14
Contributor
Contributor

Apparently, this scam is still alive. I received one these a couple days ago. I talked to a representative from GoDaddy today, and they had no record of this invoice (and were suspicious because they don't bill me that way).

Login to Me Too

KaraP
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for this explanation. I just had this happen to be yesterday and I cancelled the invoice so hopefully that is the end of it.

Login to Me Too

rakknid
New Community Member
just lost all my money to one and was literally fighting the dude changing my email and phone number back and forth
Login to Me Too

WhiteRabbit14
Contributor
Contributor

@rakknid I'm so sorry! That's awful!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.