cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

** Spoof / Phishing Emails - Tips on how to identify & stay protected **

New Community Member

Re: Suspicious Email from service @ intl.paypal.com

I've never had any problems contacting PayPal over the phone. I have recently dealt with this same situation. I called PayPal before I shipped anything. I was told by the lady on the phone DO NOT TO SHIP ANYTHING UNTIL YOU GET PAID. Sorry to hear that you got scammed. I'm glad I made the phone call to PayPal before I shipped the item. eBay even states not to make transactions outside of eBay because you are not PROTECTED by them if you do that. Hopefully this message helps anyone having the same issue. Another piece of information people may need to remember is that if you receive an email from PayPal but has attachments included, don't open the attachment. This is a fraudulent person trying to get your account information. PayPal DOES NOT SEND EMAILS WITH ATTACHMENTS!

phishing scam?

I have received a very convincing email 'from PayPal' - it addresses me by name, includes the last 4 didgits of my card number, and tells me it's about to expire (which it is).  It then provides a link for me to add a new card. I would never respond to an unsolicited email in this way, and didn't think PayPal would send such an email. A quick scan of internet forums suggests that there is uncertainty as to whether this is genuine or not. If it's a scam it's a very convincing one and indicates that someone has access to my details.

Address is as follows: Apparently I can't include the email address inthis post(?) - however, after the @ the address is e.paypal (note the 'e')

URL link (to "add card") goes to

So, is this genuine or not?

If not, how come my confidential info is known?

Post edited to comply with forum guidelines.

Tags (1)

Re: phishing scam?

Hi Reginald_Rat,

PayPal will send you an email when your card is about to expire so you can update it. If there is a link it should only link to the PayPal page and ask you to login. You will know that it is a real PayPal page as there will be a lock in the corner of the address bar. 

If you have any concerns about this email please forward it to Spoof@PayPal.co.uk and we will confirm for you wether or not it is a genuine email. 

I hope this is helpful. 

Rachael

Spoiler

Thanks.  I was a little surprised at receiving an email with a link to log into PayPal, as this is the usual approach used in phishing scams. Glad that it's genuine. I'll still stick to accessing my account directly though rather than using an emailed link.

New Community Member

A lock means nothing.  The page could be a 'secure' hack site.  Hover the mouse above the email link but **DO NOT CLICK**.  Call paypal to verify the link address and sender info.

New Community Member

I've just got one that says there's suspected unauthorised activity from a foreign country ... I've sent it and the message source code to paypal spoof ...

New Community Member

@PayPal_Rachael wrote:

PayPal will send you an email when your card is about to expire so you can update it. If there is a link it should only link to the PayPal page and ask you to login. You will know that it is a real PayPal page as there will be a lock in the corner of the address bar. 

That is so NOT TRUE! Everyone can support HTTPS, you should really check the domain (and of course HTTPS).

New Community Member

@PayPal_Rachael wrote:

Hi Reginald_Rat,

If you have any concerns about this email please forward it to Spoof@PayPal.co.uk and we will confirm for you wether or not it is a genuine email. 

I hope this is helpful. 

Rachael

Hello PayPal_Rachael
Is your statement about the locked padlock indicating security correct ??
Regards
Paul

New Community Member

Hi All,

I attempted to log in to my paypal account and on doing so was met with a doalogue box on screen with the paypal logo. It was asking for various information I know paypal would not ask since they have it  or some of it already.

My name, address, bank details. national insurance. Post code.  DONT BE FOOLED PAYPAL WILL NOT ASK YOU FOR INFORMATION THEY ALREADY HAVE. THEY DO NOT NEED SOCIAL SECURITY DETAILS.

Put in place decent security software and dont be hacked., Do not send infor via emal. Do Not store passwords or other information on you computer which ONLY YOU SHOULD KNOW.

Hi johant, 

Great advice. Thanks for posting this Smiley Happy

Kudos to you

Paula