cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

** Spoof / Phishing Emails - Tips on how to identify & stay protected **

New Community Member

Re: ** Spoof / Phishing Emails - Tips on how to identify & stay protected **

Same subject different angle.

I am amazed that when I go to vendors websites and go through the usual to and fro between paypal pages and the vendors pages that nothing of the following kind happens..

1. Automatic logout

2. A message to say "you are still logged in".

I always visit www.paypal.com after a transation on a third party website and log myself out - some people might be surprised

to find that as a  result on a third party website they remain logged in to paypal, then perhaps if they are in a public place they go get a coffee.

New Community Member

Suspicious Email from service @ intl.paypal.com

Hello,

I have received 2 strange email's from this email address 'service @ intl.paypal.com'. I found another similar topic that says this is a genuine paypal address but it doesn't make any sense.

The email address I received these email's is on another email account of mine that is not signed up to paypal. 

The 2 email's I received are titled 'Your account has been limited until we hear from you' and the other 'Welcome to PayPal'. The latter is asking me to click a confirm email button. What is more strange is they are addressing a 'lee tom' which isn't even my name, and I do not believe it is possible for someone to accidentally mistype my email because it is a student address constructed from my course initials, year I started, my own initials, and the name of the university itself.

Can someone please inform me of what I should do please?

Regards,

Graham

Spam Email - Account Access Limited

Hi, I received a email in my spam folder stating it has come from PayPal saying my Account Access has been Limited.  Although when I log on to my PayPal Account there isn't a message on the account overview stating this.  Additionally I am suspicious of this email as it is addressed Dear Valued PayPal Member and on reading information listed from PayPal  you state that you address an email to the customers first and last name.  I also have noticed that when I go to log into my account there is a message highlighted in a box just above the log in suggesting that I have recently changed my password - I did change it on 16/09/2010, but not recently, and am able to log on using that password.  Should I be forwarding this email and one other I received recently to spoof@paypal.  I have taken a copy of this email sent for your suggestions.  Many thanks

Dear valued PayPal member,

PayPal is constantly working to ensure security by regularly screening the accounts in our system. We recently reviewed your account, and we need more information to help us provide you with secure service. Until we can collect this information, your access to sensitive account features will be limited. We would like to restore your access as soon as possible, and we apologize for the inconvenience. 

Why is my account access limited?

Your account access has been limited for the following reason(s): 

January 22, 2011: We would like to ensure that your account was not accessed by an unauthorized third party. Because protecting the security of your account is our primary concern, we have limited access to sensitive PayPal account features. We understand that this may be an inconvenience but please understand that this temporary limitation is for your protection. 
Case ID Number: PP-072-658-482

You must click the link below and enter your password for email on the following page to review your account.

http://www.paypal.co.uk

Please visit the Resolution Center and complete the "Steps to Remove Limitations." 

Thank you for using PayPal!,

PayPal Account Review Department

PayPal Email ID PP522

Copyright © 1999-2010 PayPal. All rights reserved. PayPal is authorized and regulated by the Financial Services Authority as an electronic money institution. PayPal FSA Register Number: 226056.

New Community Member

Re: Spam Email - Account Access Limited

I hope you did not click on any links etc and do what it asked.

I have just had a similar email although it did go into my junk folder. My first thought was that it shouldn't have gone there as I have had loads of trouble recently with account getting restricted. But then I thought about it and went directly to paypal from google, and my account is not restricted. So its definitely spam! 

Copy of text I received below.

"Dear Customer,

We have reason to believe that your account was accessed by a third party. Because protecting the security of your account is our primary concern, we have limited access to sensitive PayPal account features. We understand that this may be an inconvenience but please understand that this temporary limitation is for your protection.

Requiring PIN Signatures is the latest security measure against: identity theft, credit card fraud and unauthorized account access. PayPal will verify it with your bank records for your own protection. If you provide a wrong PIN your account will be suspended or limited for unauthorized account access.

(Your case ID for this reason is PP-192-084-509.)

Thank you,

Customers Support Service
© Copyright 2011, Paypal, Inc. All Rights Reserved."

Hi, thanks for your reply and reassuring me, I thought it was a spoof email and  luckily I didn't click on any links as I did what you did - went straght into my PayPal account to double check and didn't see any restrictions, but then doubted myself.. I too have had emails that shouldn't of gone into my spam folder so give it a scan through from time to time. I've had other spam emails in the past from a variety of "banks" I'm not  with but this is the first one i've had to do with my PayPal account (had for some time but not used it) and its only since I started using it in December to pay for things brought through ebay that I have received one, so thought I'd better check it out with the forum. 

Many thanks for clarifying it for me.

New Community Member

Hi Everyone, I need to get some information about  this spam email.
I didn't pay attention that and i went through link and did put all my information , bank details, address and etc.
is it going to affect me and my bank account?

when i noticed that it was spam and i did put all my information.  i closed my PayPal account straight away!

Please help me !!! 

New Community Member

H..I've just received this same email..it looks very authentic and as others will have experienced,  Pay Pal is diligent is checking and verifying our accounts..and I was completely taken in. Fortunately as I was about to send my information the back-up security I have with Santander (RAPPORT) kicked in and warned me off!!!!  I feel absolutely sick at what I so nearly and innocently did..  I should have been warned when it addressed me just as 'Hello'..I think PP should send out warning to it's users just to refresh us into being aware. Cheers..

Hi,

I recieved this email too. It looks very real. Thought it lloked dodgy mind but I did click on the link and it took me to a page for fly fishing. Didn't ask me for any password or anything and would never put them in through an email link never have even on real emails always go straight to paypal. Hopefully no body had hacked my account as i am having problems with funding my account and linking my bank account says it is already used on another account asked paypal to look into it for me. Just beware of the dodgy emails.

Hi there Imcc234,

I can confirm that this is a known spoof email and would advise that all suspicious emails are forwarded to spoof@paypal.com.

Just some advice for everyone!

You’ll know that an email is not from PayPal when:

• The email uses a generic greeting like ‘Dear user’ or ‘Hello, PayPal member.’ We always address you by your first name and last name or the business name on your PayPal account.
  • The email requests financial and other personal information. For example, an email from PayPal never asks for the numbers of your bank account, debit or credit card, or driver’s license. We also don’t request your email addresses, your full name, your account password, or the answers to your PayPal security questions.
  • The email includes an attachment, a software update to install on your computer, or a hyperlink

Hope this helps!

Siobhan

Hi I got this email today

We need your help resolving an issue with your account. To give us time towork together on this, we've temporarily limited what you can do with youraccount until the issue is resolved. We understand it may be frustrating not to have full access to your PayPalaccount. We want to work with you to get your account back to normal asquickly as possible. What's the problem? We want to make sure that no one has logged in to your account without yourpermission. Please take a moment to change your password and create new securityquestions. You should also take a look at your account information andrecent transactions. Make sure that your account information (address,phone number, etc) hasn't changed. You can do all of this by selecting theprofile link in the header on the Account Overview page. If you see a payment that you don't recognise, let us know by going to theResolution Centre. Click "Dispute a Transaction" to report an unauthorisedtransaction. Reference Number: PP-001-320-192-895 How you can help It's usually quite straightforward to take care of these things. Most ofthe time, we just need some more information about your account or latesttransactions. To help us with this and to find out what you can and can't do with youraccount until the issue is resolved, log in to your account and go to theResolution Centre. Yours sincerely

I have had a payment put on hold by paypal so I am assuming it is true. However when I go to change password/security questions on paypal homepage on my other account it keeps saying SORRY Sorry, an error occurred after you clicked the last link". - I need urgent help on this matter but phoning up has been no help, tried logging out and back in - clearing internet browsing cache etc , changed browser

Thanks in advance