cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

** Spoof / Phishing Emails - Tips on how to identify & stay protected **

New Community Member

Re: phishing scam?

@rocqua wrote:

That's what I thought, until I received a link towards epl.paypal-communication.com .
After some digging around, that domains is also registered by paypal, but it gave me quite the scare.

So it is legit? Really strange PayPal does this, as I only (tend to) trust 'paypal.com'.

Contributor

I've just had one of these.

It looks suspicious due to the target URL but has my real name on it which is very unusual for a scam.

The site's SSL certificate is an Extended Validation one issued by DigiCert to "PayPal, Inc. [US]" which would suggest it is actually legitimate but the domain is registered to "Epsilon Data Management" (whereas paypal.co.uk and paypal.com are not) which is suspicious again!

I've sent a help email about it through my account and forwarded the email to spoof@paypal.co.uk

I'll update this thread if I get a definitive response.

Contributor

I got a reply from the spoof-reporting email address saying that the URL was "likely fraudulent" - that's not conclusive enough for me! Today, I received another email addressed to me by full name and referencing "policy updates". I tested the link (which was to the same "epl.paypal-communication.com" domain as before) via Sandboxie and it redirected through to a genuine policy updates page at paypal.com. I've emailed PayPal Support again...
New Community Member

Thank you for your persistence.  

Contributor

My complete experiences of trying to get PayPal's opinion on emails with links to epl.paypal-communication.com are summarised here in the following link.  I hope it's OK to post it here.

https://cantoriscomputing.wordpress.com/2017/03/04/paypals-emails-encourage-dangerous-habits/

I've given up!

New Community Member

Re: Suspicious Email from service @ intl.paypal.com

Do not trust buyer!!!

Post edited to comply with forum guidelines, personal information cannot be posted 

Hi Artiominas, 

Although we really appreciate you trying to warn our members to be careful, we can not post personal informattion here. 

If you receive any of these emails in the future please do let us know. You can also send them to us to spoof@paypal.com. 

Thanks 

Paula 

New Community Member

Hi, just to check, are these two email address from PAYPAL?

"service[at]paypal.com"

"service[at]transfersdept.com"

Volunteer Advisor

Hi eunzzz

It wouldnt seem so ?

But genuine ppal emails:

Always address u as Dear Full Name

Never ask u to click on links/downloads

Never ask for personal/sensitive info

Any suspicious ppal emails can be forwarded to spoof@paypal.com

New Community Member

at Eunzzz

sevice @ transfersdept.com is not a legitimate PayPal address. 

I also dealt with it but decided to forward the supposed buyer transaction cheque to spoof@paypal.com.

They replied to me in an instant that it is a "Phishing" attempt - an identity theft.