** Spoof / Phishing Emails - Tips on how to identify & stay protected **

PayPal_Siobhán

Due to the increase in Phishing /Spoof Emails being reported to PayPal I thought I would post a few tips on this topic that might help.

You’ll know that an email is not from PayPal when:

• The email uses a generic greeting like ‘Dear user’ or ‘Hello, PayPal member.’ We'll always address you by your first and last name.
  • The email requests financial and other personal information. A real email from us will never ask for your bank account number, debit or credit card number etc. Also we'll never ask for your full name, your account password, or the answers to your PayPal security questions in an email.
  • The email asks you to provide the tracking number of a dispatched item, before you've received the payment into your PayPal account
  • The email includes a software update to install on your computer.

Here are some security tips to help you stay protected online:

• Even if a URL contains the word 'PayPal', it may not be a PayPal webpage.
  • When using PayPal, always ensure that the URL address listed at the top of the browser displays as https://www.paypal.com. The 's' in ‘https’ means the website is secure.
  • Look for the 'lock' symbol that appears in the address bar. This symbol indicates that the site you are visiting is secure.

If you think you’ve received a phishing email, forward it to spoof@paypal.co.uk and then delete the fake email from your mailbox.

Hope this helps,

Siobhán 

Login to Me Too
137 REPLIES 137

minty1
Advisor
Advisor

I dont why it bleeped there?

I only said stop fret in other words stop worrying

Login to Me Too

minty1
Advisor
Advisor

Hi brianformalejo

Yes this is a spoof email its not from ppal its from your scammer

You have not been paid and wont be paid.

Ppal never ask u to send tracking info in order to get paid

When u sell an item u will see the money in your ppal acc

NEVER ship unless u see cleared payment in your acc

Yes they will threaten u to scare u into doing waht they want but they know they cant do anything

Stop **bleep** them if need be.

This links explains spoof emails https://www.paypal.com/selfhelp/article/FAQ2061/2

Login to Me Too

minty1
Advisor
Advisor

* stop **bleep** them if need be

Login to Me Too

Ashleightaylor
New Community Member

This is a scam please do not reply or send your goods, had a current encounter with these scammers.... Posted the item and never received money then had emails saying they over paid and I have to put funds into a western union account to get the money into my PayPal! I don't know how these people sleep at night to be quite honest.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Rachael
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi altgaki ,

Welcome to the community forum and thanks for posting.

There are times when you will receive an email from what looks like a real PayPal email address but the person sending the email is hiding the actual address that it has come from.  Here is how to tell if an email is genuinely from us https://www.paypal.com/selfhelp/article/FAQ2061/1 .

In this case things sounds slightly unusual. What I would recommend is getting in touch with us. You can use the normal methods by clicking 'contact' at the bottom of the page or you can reach us on social media through Facebook www.Facebook.com/PayPalUK or Twitter @AskPayPal . We can look into this for you.

Rachael

Login to Me Too

Bronislav
New Community Member

Hello, I would like to inform everybody about fraud from email what look like ‎[removed]

I received fraudulent emails about payment from email info @ transferintll . com this email look in my mail app like ‎[removed]. have a look below:

Hello B. W.,
It is important we know the status of the merchandise purchased from you by one of our clients Anemarie ‎[removed] with Transaction ID: 4WR607217779652U, otherwise legal action will be taken against you since you have not e-mailed us regarding the Money Gram Money transfer information and scanned receipt of the Money Gram transfer.

We believed you entered into agreement by requesting money through PayPal from the buyer, and by not e-mailing us with the details of the Money Gram transfer information, you are violating PayPal users agreement in act of the 1999 Law in collaboration with the World Law Enforcement Agency.

You are mandated to transfer the sum of KC 9,000.00 CZK and email us the proof of transfer within the next 24Hrs, failure to do so would result to the involvement of the Federal Law Enforcement Agents for violating PayPal's instructions and users agreement in act of the 1999 Law in collaboration with the World Law Enforcement Agency.

We are ensuring to make Online Transaction a safer place, therefore we need to set confidence on all our users.

Transport Company: "World Wide Courier"

First Name: Brandon

Last Name: ‎[removed]

Address: ‎[removed]

State: Louisiana 

Zip code: ‎[removed]

We request for the Money Gram Transfer information from Money Gram for certain Security Reasons to prove the transfer has been made within the next 24Hrs and we will fund the money into your account or you will face the consequences of LEGAL ACTION.  This is done for the protection of both the seller and buyer from the ongoing internet fraud activities.

Thank you for using PayPal Online Payment !!.

Sincerely, 

A. ‎[removed],

PayPal Help Team.

Login to Me Too

Lucy7
New Community Member

I sold something on eBay. However the person had to pay directly through PayPal and not eBay as it wasn't working. He emailed me earlier to say that he had paid. However there is nothing in my PayPal account. I looked through my spam folder in my emails and I had a message that was supposedly from PayPal. The email was sent from [removed] The writing in the email is not what it normally is like when I recieve an email from PayPal, it in infant in italic (slanted). The email reads "the funds from this eBay payment is clear and now available in our secure vault. And will only reflect on your PayPal payment history upon receipt of the shipment tracking number from you. This is because in the past some sellers have exploited these payment method in order to defraud buyers, so to crate safety and secure trading enviornment for both buyer and seller we require you to dispatch the item and send tracking number to us to process fund into your account" It then says in red writing " do not send tracking number to the buyer until we process your fund. And for reference purpose, kindly reply to this email when sending tracking number to expedite your find release. We do not except tracking number through phone call" I have copied the exact words from the email, and as you can see there are spelling mistakes and some of the sentences do not make sense. Please help me. Thanks in advance.

Login to Me Too

Clairescendo
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

I've received this message from [removed]

"

Hello Customer,

We just wanted to confirm that you've changed your password. Unfortunately, our system detected that your account has been logged from unknown device.

Please take action on your account soon. It's important that you let us know because it helps us prevent unauthorised persons from accessing the PayPal network and your account information.

Follow this step:
  • Go to the Resolution Center.
  • Provide the information requested.

Thanks,
PayPal"

The problem is that I actually click in the link and put my information there, thinking that it was Paypal. I've immediately changed my account password, what else can I do?

Login to Me Too

Xiggie
New Community Member

The email that my wife received came from intI.paypal.com . Through 'I' in the intI part is an upper case 'i' not lower case 'L' as it appears. It also does not address her by name.

Login to Me Too

yjunl00
New Community Member

Mine is like this

|#Dear Member,

|#Your 59.38 GBP payment made for the game FarmVille on Facebook Inc. is being processed.

|#Because of our geographic detector recorded this payment as being made from an unknown ip we had to put the payment on hold.

|#If you did not authorize this payment and you want to cancel, please click here:xxx
|#Thank you for your understanding.

Post edited to comply with forum guidelines.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.