** Spoof / Phishing Emails - Tips on how to identify & stay protected **

PayPal_Siobhán

Due to the increase in Phishing /Spoof Emails being reported to PayPal I thought I would post a few tips on this topic that might help.

You’ll know that an email is not from PayPal when:

• The email uses a generic greeting like ‘Dear user’ or ‘Hello, PayPal member.’ We'll always address you by your first and last name.
  • The email requests financial and other personal information. A real email from us will never ask for your bank account number, debit or credit card number etc. Also we'll never ask for your full name, your account password, or the answers to your PayPal security questions in an email.
  • The email asks you to provide the tracking number of a dispatched item, before you've received the payment into your PayPal account
  • The email includes a software update to install on your computer.

Here are some security tips to help you stay protected online:

• Even if a URL contains the word 'PayPal', it may not be a PayPal webpage.
  • When using PayPal, always ensure that the URL address listed at the top of the browser displays as https://www.paypal.com. The 's' in ‘https’ means the website is secure.
  • Look for the 'lock' symbol that appears in the address bar. This symbol indicates that the site you are visiting is secure.

If you think you’ve received a phishing email, forward it to spoof@paypal.co.uk and then delete the fake email from your mailbox.

Hope this helps,

Siobhán 

Login to Me Too
137 REPLIES 137

PayPal_Siobhán

Hi there NTGroup, 

@gmail013

I have escalated both of your accounts to be reviewed, don't worry however there is no risk involved to your account or your information if someone has used your email address. 

Can I ask that you send an email from your actual PayPal account by clicking on 'Contact Us' at the bottom of the page and state the email address that you have received this email to.

Siobhán 

Login to Me Too

stevogums
Contributor
Contributor

I Too have this Lee tom on two of my recent transactions...

I cannot confirm payments as im not sure the transaction will be secure..

Whats my next move?

Login to Me Too

pdiddycollins
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I recieved a few emails from the same address. I sold a ring online and the buyer contacted me via texting my sell phone. I told ghim that i would only accept payment via paypa. I got one email stating that the payment was recieve and deducted from the buyers paypal account and that it would be deposited into my account after I sent the tracking number.

After that I then got a "payment confrimation" email from the same address w/ the buyers email address and info on it.

From there it said to ship the item and when the tracking number is provided then the funds would be placed in my account.

I provided the tracking number when i shipped it on 10.11.2012 @9:56 AM.  The tracking number is CW654797111US. After that I athen got a email stating that they recieved the tracking number and the funds are still not in my account. Ive contacted paypal 2 times and all I get is a automatied response.

Anyone have any suggestions??????????

If anyone that works for paypal on here please assist. Ive been with paypal for 12 yrs and never had an issue untill now.

Thanks,

paypal id: philcollins_kid

Login to Me Too

Comstock8605
New Community Member

I've never had any problems contacting PayPal over the phone. I have recently dealt with this same situation. I called PayPal before I shipped anything. I was told by the lady on the phone DO NOT TO SHIP ANYTHING UNTIL YOU GET PAID. Sorry to hear that you got scammed. I'm glad I made the phone call to PayPal before I shipped the item. eBay even states not to make transactions outside of eBay because you are not PROTECTED by them if you do that. Hopefully this message helps anyone having the same issue. Another piece of information people may need to remember is that if you receive an email from PayPal but has attachments included, don't open the attachment. This is a fraudulent person trying to get your account information. PayPal DOES NOT SEND EMAILS WITH ATTACHMENTS!

Login to Me Too

Reginald_Rat
Contributor
Contributor

I have received a very convincing email 'from PayPal' - it addresses me by name, includes the last 4 didgits of my card number, and tells me it's about to expire (which it is).  It then provides a link for me to add a new card. I would never respond to an unsolicited email in this way, and didn't think PayPal would send such an email. A quick scan of internet forums suggests that there is uncertainty as to whether this is genuine or not. If it's a scam it's a very convincing one and indicates that someone has access to my details.

Address is as follows: Apparently I can't include the email address inthis post(?) - however, after the @ the address is e.paypal (note the 'e')

URL link (to "add card") goes to

So, is this genuine or not?

If not, how come my confidential info is known?

Post edited to comply with forum guidelines.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Rachael
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi Reginald_Rat,

PayPal will send you an email when your card is about to expire so you can update it. If there is a link it should only link to the PayPal page and ask you to login. You will know that it is a real PayPal page as there will be a lock in the corner of the address bar. 

If you have any concerns about this email please forward it to Spoof@PayPal.co.uk and we will confirm for you wether or not it is a genuine email. 

I hope this is helpful. 

Rachael

Login to Me Too

Reginald_Rat
Contributor
Contributor
Spoiler

Thanks.  I was a little surprised at receiving an email with a link to log into PayPal, as this is the usual approach used in phishing scams. Glad that it's genuine. I'll still stick to accessing my account directly though rather than using an emailed link.

Login to Me Too

CODER1
New Community Member

A lock means nothing.  The page could be a 'secure' hack site.  Hover the mouse above the email link but **DO NOT CLICK**.  Call paypal to verify the link address and sender info.

Login to Me Too

ronhow
New Community Member

I've just got one that says there's suspected unauthorised activity from a foreign country ... I've sent it and the message source code to paypal spoof ...

Login to Me Too

Kapé

@PayPal_Rachael wrote:

PayPal will send you an email when your card is about to expire so you can update it. If there is a link it should only link to the PayPal page and ask you to login. You will know that it is a real PayPal page as there will be a lock in the corner of the address bar. 

That is so NOT TRUE! Everyone can support HTTPS, you should really check the domain (and of course HTTPS).

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.