** Spoof / Phishing Emails - Tips on how to identify & stay protected **

PayPal_Siobhán

Due to the increase in Phishing /Spoof Emails being reported to PayPal I thought I would post a few tips on this topic that might help.

You’ll know that an email is not from PayPal when:

• The email uses a generic greeting like ‘Dear user’ or ‘Hello, PayPal member.’ We'll always address you by your first and last name.
  • The email requests financial and other personal information. A real email from us will never ask for your bank account number, debit or credit card number etc. Also we'll never ask for your full name, your account password, or the answers to your PayPal security questions in an email.
  • The email asks you to provide the tracking number of a dispatched item, before you've received the payment into your PayPal account
  • The email includes a software update to install on your computer.

Here are some security tips to help you stay protected online:

• Even if a URL contains the word 'PayPal', it may not be a PayPal webpage.
  • When using PayPal, always ensure that the URL address listed at the top of the browser displays as https://www.paypal.com. The 's' in ‘https’ means the website is secure.
  • Look for the 'lock' symbol that appears in the address bar. This symbol indicates that the site you are visiting is secure.

If you think you’ve received a phishing email, forward it to spoof@paypal.co.uk and then delete the fake email from your mailbox.

Hope this helps,

Siobhán 

Login to Me Too
137 REPLIES 137

PayPal_Rachael
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi Coletca,

I can confirm that this email is not from PayPal.

If you ever receive a payment to your account you can check this by logging in as normal and reviewing your payment history. Though a payment may be held you will still see the money in your pending balance.

You’ll know that an email is not from PayPal when:

• The email uses a generic greeting like ‘Dear user’ or ‘Hello, PayPal member.’ We'll always address you by your first and last name or the business name on your PayPal account.
  • The email requests financial and other personal information. A real email from us will never ask for your bank account number, debit or credit card number etc. Also we'll never ask for your full name, your account password, or the answers to your PayPal security questions in an email.
  • The email asks you to provide the tracking number of a dispatched item, before you've received the payment into your PayPal account
  • The email includes a software update to install on your computer.

I hope this helps.

Rachael

Login to Me Too

PunkyDarky
New Community Member

I receive one today, and yeah it was really so strange to have this.

Important: Your Account Has Been Limited 

Dear (email)

Your PayPal account has been limited because we've noticed significant changes in your account activity. As your payment processor, we need to understand these changes better.

This account Iimitation will affect your ability to:
+ send or receive money
+ withdraw money

Also, you won't be able to:
+ remove any bank accounts
+ remove credit cards
+ close your account

What to do next
Please log in to your PayPal account and provide the requested information through the Resolution Center. If we don't receive the information before this deadline or we notice additional significant changes in your account activity, your account access may be further limited.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.
Sincerely,

PayPal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

This Is An Automatically Generated Email, Please Do Not Reply
You Are Receiving This Email Because You Are A Registered Member Of PayPaI
Read Our Privacy Policy,Security and Protection If You Have Any Questions
Copyright © 1999-2016 PayPaI All Rights Reserved.

Login to Me Too

Worrier
Contributor
Contributor

Hi PunkyDarky

I got this email a couple of days ago and only came across it today (it was in my Spam folder).  It told me I had to reply by 10 January, when it was only sent just before 9pm on 9 January. It also addressed my by my full email address and not my name/s.  these things both made me suspicious enough to look carefully at the sender's email address [removed] I did note that it was not a Paypal address or any attempt to be one but it did have the Paypal logo at the top and "Copyright  © 1999-2017 PayPal Inc. All rights reserved." at the bottom..  So, I forwarded it to spoof@paypal.com and have now had a reply from them (very promptly too) to say

"Dear ,

Thanks for taking an active role by reporting suspicious-looking emails.
Unfortunately, we're unable to determine if this email is considered
phishing because the email did not claim to come from PayPal.
Nonetheless, we are grateful for your concern. "

So I then search engined the email address and I can't find anything on anything (maybe I'm just too stupid to do it right?!) So long story short, I'm still confused, I'm going to delete the email and hope that nothing happens with my well used Paypal account, payments or my bank cards!

Maybe someone else can help with more info for us?????

Login to Me Too

PayPal_paula

Hi graham01, 

When PayPal send you an email we will always address you using your full name and we never put links in our emails. However as the email address seems to be addressing someone elses name I would suggest that you contact us to confirm the emails you have been receiving. 

To contact us please click on the contact us link at the bottom of every PayPal page. 

I hope this helps 

Paula 

Login to Me Too

MervinDomanico
New Community Member

HI,

i got an email with the same email address and i sent it to spoof@paypal.com. can you please send the correct link of Paypal where we can register. is there a fake website of this?

THanks,

Mervin

Login to Me Too

MSK89
New Community Member

Guys. When getting an email like this, click forward and check the actual email. This is one I got today from [removed]So the name on the email account is a correct PayPal account but the actual address is a fraud. Always check for the actual address. What you see is basically a title. Always be vigilant, I learnt the hard way.

Login to Me Too

deynay
New Community Member

i just got the same email and first thing i did was cheking the meail adress not the title and it turns out to be from [removed]

Login to Me Too

maddog_miller
New Community Member

I received a similar email this morning.  On closer inspection, I noticed the email was from intl.paypa"i".com. (without the quotes).  The last letter in paypal was cleverly replaced with a capital "i".  Most definitely a scam.

Login to Me Too

NTGroup
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

This morning I just received an email similar as graham01 had received. "Welcome to Paypal...." from [removed]

I do use Paypal with another email address, but Paypal recipient email address has never been used to sign up on Paypal ! Also email is addressed to "tom lee" with chinese address. Of course it is not my name and I do not leave in China.

What is the next process to be sure that no Paypal account will be used with my email address ? (Moreover my email address is build with firstname+lastname@companyname) .

What about the confirmation code within Paypal message ? How to contact Paypal and tell them to delete this account ?

Please help !

Regards

Login to Me Too

gman013
New Community Member

I too have received the same email. Requesting email addy confirmation. It's an email address I have but not for paypal & gives an address in China & the acc name of lee Tom. I live in the UK! Can anyone advise?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.