Sent money overseas and charged a hidden fee?

Ahmed998
Contributor
Contributor

I live in Australia and have a business account with paypal. I was sending money to another business in China in USD (note: I did not have any currency in USD in my balance, it was all AUD). I used the "send money" option and selected "for goods and services".

As you know paypal then shows you a page with two boxes one with AUD in the money sending, and one with the USD amount in money received. So I adjusted the USD amount to the amount that I needed the other business to receive (all fees were to be charged to me). So I entered the exact amount that they were to receive, and my side of the numbers adjusted automatically in AUD (according to the current rate). 

I sent the money. Paypal made NO MENTION of any fees or anything. When I look at my summary it also shows that exact amount being deducted (in USD) from my balance. However, the other business did not receive that amount, but a slightly deducted amount. Why is that, how can I know what fee structure was being used, and why didn't paypal display any of that information during the transfer process?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Ahmed998

All 'sellers' pay a fee to receive online payments processed for them by Paypal.

FEES are listed in paypals user agreement.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.