Sending money fee free

Designpurchaser
Contributor
Contributor

I am told that I can send money fee free to family but I can't do it...why? Please help.

Login to Me Too
59 REPLIES 59

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@darkstepz

If you use the family / friends option AND fund it via funds in your paypal balance OR bank transfer then its FREE.

If you use a credit card then its charged.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

AnaamZen
Contributor
Contributor

It charges me if I use 'send to friends & family' option - sending to another paypal user from my paypal accnt.

Used to be free!

I think I'm gonna stop using paypal if they start charging for everything including sending to friends & family as 'gift' 

Login to Me Too

thirum
New Community Member
Hello sir how to send money friends or family without fees
Tell me sir
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Carlos

Hello thirum! Thank you for your post and welcome to the PayPal UK Community! If you select to send a payment to family and friends, there are no fees as long as the payment is funded with your PayPal balance or bank account, or a combination of your PayPal balance and bank account. However, if your debit/credit card is used to cover the payment, a small fee will apply. You can read more about this here https://goo.gl/L6v48E. Hope this helps. - Carlos 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@PayPal_Carlos

This seems to be an ongoing anomaly.

I have seen conflicting advice on paypals site and from the mods on fees for friends / family payments involving DEBIT CARDS.

You and the link you have posted state you pay a fee if you fund it from a debit card.

Yet in the user agreement AND when you click on send money > friends family it clearly states >>

FROM THE USER AGREEMENT.

A1.1 Domestic Personal Transaction payment Fees

Note that either the sender or the recipient pays the Fee, not both. Please see A4.2.3 of this Schedule 1 for more information.

Activity

Fee for payment fully funded by:
- PayPal Balance;
- Bank; and/or

- Debit Card (in GBP between UK registered Accounts).

Sending or Receiving

Free (when no currency conversion is involved)

As you can see it states FREE with a debit card.

And again  >>

FROM THE SEND MONEY OPTION WHEN YOU GO TO PAY.

Send money to friends and family. >

No fee if you use your PayPal balance, bank account or debit card to send money in GBP to friends or family within the UK.

However your link states there IS a fee for a debit card >>

Sending money – Personal payments:

There are no fees within the UK to send money to family and friends when you use only your PayPal balance or bank account, or a combination of your PayPal balance and bank account.

There is a fee to send money as a personal payment using a debit card or credit card. The fee in the is 3.4% plus 20p of the amount you send. For example, if you send £100.00 GBP by credit card, the fee would be £3.60 GBP (£3.40 GBP + 20p).

I have pointed out this conflicting advice in the past as we have had users on here stating they are being charged for debit card payments for family / friends payments and the advice on the site and the moderators also changes.

Can paypal please clarify?

Cheers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

oilysnake
New Community Member

I am having the same problem using Paypal balance. NO currency exchange or anything else of the sort. Fee is over 20%. when sending $10 usd.... YIKES!!!!!

Login to Me Too

merledbyrne
New Community Member

I've also just been charged for sending via friend/family option from my bank account. 

Login to Me Too

Gabi02
New Community Member

I am Nigeria and I want to send money to a friend. I need help on this please. Hope to hear from you soon.

Login to Me Too

nax29
Contributor
Contributor
So helpful. Succinct and with a reference link! Wish all volunteers could be so polite and complete in their responses!
Login to Me Too

azulmarino
Contributor
Contributor

To send money with no additional fees you have to do it the inverse way. That means, if you A want to pay $10 to B, you have to tell B to go to https://www.paypal.com/myaccount/transfer/ and click on Request from friends or customers, then A receives B request by email and clicks to send the money. B receives $10, no fees applied.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.