Sending Money to Friend Exchange Rate Discrepancy

Ferocactus
Contributor
Contributor

I recently sent money to a friend outside of my country, and PayPal's exchange rate is obviously lower than the current global rate. I checked how much my friend would receive after my funds are converted, and they received less than what they would at the current global rate. So I had to send another amount to cover for the discrepancy and made sure my friend got the actual amount based on the current global rate.

If some kind of PayPal fee is tied to their exchange rate (making their rate lower than the global rate so I have to pay more, in which the difference then counts as their fee) I understand I would pay that fee, but why doesn't the recipient get the true full amount by the current global rate? Why is my friend being charged the same fee by getting a lower amount transferred to them at PayPal's exchange rate? What is up with this?! I thought recipients in "Sending to a Friend" don't pay any fees. I paid the fee included in PayPal's exchange rate to send the true full amount, but PayPal takes a second fee by giving my friend less than what my currency is really worth at the global value (I end up essentially paying two fees: one for sending at their rate, and a second to cover for the amount they withheld from my friend in the first conversion); PayPal is double-dipping. What the heck is going on here?! Who can I contact about this?!

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.