Selling a car on-line and using Paypal for payment

70442rag
New Community Member

I seem to be getting several requests / txt messages from people who have spotted my ad for my 2010 Acura on-line. The grammar / spelling is atrocious. They want to buy it immediately and use Paypal. The hair on the back of my neck is standing up as I smell a rat right now. The area codes seem to be from California etc. I live in Toronto, Canada. Is this a scam? If so,how does it work? Should I not bother responding?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Thanks!

Brad

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

Oregon11
Advisor
Advisor

@70442rag

Even if this isn't a scam; you shouldn't use PayPal for buying or selling a vehicle, except for a small deposit to hold the vehicle until the buyer shows up with cash.

For future transactions—emails from PayPal will always address you by your first and last name or business name. If you're unsure of an email, go to the website directly and log in to check if there are any notices or transactions in your account. If you don't see any activity in your account, then its safe to say that you didn't receive any payments. 

Here is a PayPal link with details on scams.

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/scams-on-craigslist-and-other-classifieds-websites-faq30...

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.