Scams - Is a linked credit card the safest?

Dosh2U
Contributor
Contributor

I've recently suspected a scam so I'm just looking at how my account is set up.  I've got a nominated bank account and credits cards showing.  Someone said to me that a credit card is the safest way to pay as there is some inbuilt protection with the credit card company if a dispute arises.  Should I (can I?) just delete the linked personal bank account from my PayPal account or do I have to have a personal bank account to satisfy PayPal rules?

Any information on this would be great!

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Dosh2U

Thats a U.S article so doesn't really apply to the UK.

You have up to 180 days to open a dispute for unauthorised use on paypal in the UK.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Dosh2U

You can still use your cards instead of your bank account but i would leave your bank account linked 'in case' you ever need to funds payments from there as its free for friends / family transactions from a bank account OR sell something and want to withdraw the funds.

Click on the profile tab (icon next to log out) > Click on payments third option along on the thick blue band top of page > second down click on update next to your prefered way to pay and put a dot in one of the options listed.....your chosen card.

However you can 'also' click change during the payment process and select a card or another card during checkout.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Dosh2U
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, kernolass and thanks for your reply.  I've just logged into my account and there were just two icons to the left of the log-out icon, one for settings and one for messages. However, if I click on the summary tab at the top, there is a list of bank accounts and cards at the bottom right, which would allow me to change priority options for payment, which I guess is the same thing?

The reason for asking the question was that I saw something on-line suggesting not to link either bank accounts or credit cards to my account.  Here's the link:

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/42802448/ns/technology_and_science-security/t/nine-ways-stay-protected-whi...

Any thoughts?

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Dosh2U

Thats a U.S article so doesn't really apply to the UK.

You have up to 180 days to open a dispute for unauthorised use on paypal in the UK.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.