Scammed by fake people posing as paypal!!!

Ywtter545
Contributor
Contributor

Recently there was a cancelation to a transaction that I made with a friend where i haven't received how long it will take to refund so I call customer service but I didn't enter the website inside I click the number under pay pal on Google and directed me to some man named mark he is Indian he told me in order to recieve my refund I needed to buy a Google play card for 387 which you know why not I did it and apparently I did something wrong which he forced me to buy more and in the end he made me but 2887 dollars worth of pay pal cards until I was broke and said he will send my refund in an hour and of course he posed as pay pal and he even told me that everything was recorded I was furious at this man named mark he eventually deactivated the number and now no money his number was <removed> but now its inactive and can't do anything about it since he took it all. Is there any advice out there to get the money back from Google play cards and scammers like this. Ps there were many people who picked up the phone who made it seem like a pay line with actually hold music these guys were something and very convincing

Login to Me Too
11 REPLIES 11

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Ywtter545

Why on earth would paypal tell you to buy google play cards to get a refund?

Surely you must have realised it was a SCAM !!!

NEVER google for paypals telephone number, click on help /contact bottom of paypals pages for their real number.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

SincerelySarah
New Community Member

Same thing here. Indian dude. But had all of my previous addresses I have used (I had to move 2 times in 3 years!)

ANYWAY - he goes through this whole schpeil about some security software he needs to run in order to update my

primary address. They sent my new card to my old address and I need a new one. He told me I need to go buy a google

play card in order to run the security software to update my address?? HECK NO! I hung up. Didn't make sense to me.

I, too, used the first number that popped up on google. My money is locked up, I cant even transfer to my bank account!
I am going to call the REAL number after work and see if I can get this resolved!

Login to Me Too

jbaker1628
Contributor
Contributor

It happened to me yesterday. I called this number that I had goodgled very fast .They came up on the phone saying paypal . he sounded Indian.

I needed a refund for a phony credit card someone had set up in paypal. He told me that I need to buy 2000 worth of google playcards to get the money returned to me so he kept telling me to go to the rite aid to buy the cards and said that the card money was not going through. SCAMMER and a thief!

He stole $4200 from me this way. I never thought I was so stupid but they seem really nice and convincing saying the call was recorded etc. I even called back after complaining and he told me to charge another card!!!

I am the jerk for falling for that. My bank never made good on the money. wow I feel disgusted!!! Robbed in broad daylight....

Login to Me Too

Ezra1977
Contributor
Contributor
Yeah, this happened to me the other day. The phone number was the same as the one on PayPal's page, so someone working for PayPal was in on it. It was him who had me spend $400 on those damn cards. When I called PayPal I was checking on my account since I lost a phone the other day (which I found later). They supposedly transferred me to the fraud department or whatever, and directed me verify my account with those stupid cards. When they wanted me to spend another $1000 I hung up and called my bank to put that on lockdown just in case. What I want to know is...is there any PayPal people in the United States I can call? I'm sorry but I'm not trusting any call center based in India after this. If I can't speak to a PayPal employee based in my own country, then I'm just going to close my PayPal account. I'm already **bleep** that there's no clear way to know how much money PayPal has charged me in fees since unlike any other bank-type account, you can't really keep track of all the transactions because they don't provide that information. I have NO idea how much money was taken out by Paypal.
Login to Me Too

Drya
Contributor
Contributor

Happened to me yesterday. I was one of the lucky ones. They only scammed me out of $100. They were trying to get me to buy $400 card after I bought two $50. That's when I hung up. I ended up finding the real number and requested a call back but when I answered who I thought was my PayPal call back it was them again. I had to keep ignoring phone calls and texts. I have over 30 calls from these people in my call log that I ignored. They kept calling while I was on hold with PayPal. The last time I picked up was when I thought I was getting my call back from Google. I spoke to a Max <removed> and a Jennifer <removed>. There are two people that I don't remember their names. When I thought I was getting my call back from Google it was Jennifer and she connected me to one of the other men again and I hung up. While on the phone with Google they informed me they had received a call from someone who got scammed out of over $4,000. These people are paying a lot of money to stay on top of the Google search results. I have to say this situation has left me feeling violated, embarrassed, **bleep**, and stupid.

Login to Me Too

Caseface32
Contributor
Contributor

Me 2 I was scammed yesterday guy name is Travis <removed> He wanted me to go to Dollar General Target Walmart Etc to purchase a $300.00 Google play Card he told me that 8 people from all over the United States had my Paypal Info and even someone in Russia and 18 different devices. Like a Sucker I fell for it so he had me to order them online instead from Raise.com which I did once I realized I was scammed I called and had my order cancelled and account cancelled on Raise

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Caseface32 

Yep SCAM.
It would not be paypal customer services that you called it would be a FAKE number pretending to be paypal customer services.
The number shows up when you use 'google' to find paypals number OR a scammer has posted a thread in this forum.
Most times these threads get reported and removed but some slip through.
The scammers post genuine advice but the phone number is in the title or post often in a strange format to get around paypals security.
They also often put loads of 'tags' on the side to push down any warning posts below.
That is why paypal NEVER post their phone number on this forum.
The only way to get the REAL paypal customer services number is via help / contact bottom left of paypal pages and scrolling down past the FAQ to the 'call us' option to phone them.
If you think about it why would paypal ask you to buy google vouchers or itunes cards to answer your question?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Momma_di
Contributor
Contributor
I too was in a hurry and googled pay pal customer service number and clicked the first number I saw. I spoke to a guy with a Indian accent and he knew my name, phone number and email. Said my acct was on hold for suspicious activity and I MUST get a Google play card for $45 to verify the account. He was willing to stay on the phone while I buy the card. I argued back and forth and he sounded very convincing and I asked to speak to someone else that can tell my why my acct was locked. He put me on hold for 10 mins playing music before I spoke to someone else with an American accent. He had me also convinced until he started to sound frustrated with me. At that point it finally clicked that something wasnt right.. I'm glad I didnt officially get scammed. I wrote this in hopes someone reads before they get someone else.
Login to Me Too

Cynshoe
Contributor
Contributor
This just happened to me today. I was lucky because I smelled a rat and they did not get my money. GOOGLE POSTS INCORRECT CALL CENTER NUMBERS! Please do not trust the call center numbers when you Google it. PayPal tells me they have been demanding Google take down these fake results but the will not comply. I wonder what is going on? The scammer always tries to get you to buy a Google Pay card. What is Google's role in this scam??? I am going to continue my research and will post any pertinent updates. THIS IS NOT CALL CENTER NUMBER: +https://www.paypal.com/selfhelp/contact/call
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.