Scam?

Priimatainen
Contributor
Contributor
I was selling from Finland a guitar to a man in Germany. We made a deal and he told me he paid with paypal and I got an email from somekind of paypal mail account. It said that the amount is on hold and that I had to follow some steps for it to unlock the funds to my paypal account. It required me to go to a site called moonpay and have something to do with bitcoin and required me to pay 800€. This seemed like an obvious scam, anyhow I have no idea how paypal works, so I declined the deal and now he tells me that paypal is gonna take some legal action against me. Is all of this a scam or is paypal just that difficult to actually use?
Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Priimatainen 

Its a SCAM.

Even if funds were on hold they would SHOW in your paypal account.

You never have to pay any money or send any vouchers / tokens etc to resolve any account verification issues.

Paypal would certainly NOT send you to another site to use bank transfer / bitcoins / moneygram / western union or any other payment method to do anything paypal related.

Of course they are going to threaten legal action as they want to frighten you into paying, you will then never hear from them again.

Laugh at that and ignore / delete their emails.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Priimatainen
Contributor
Contributor
Okay, thanks. In the process I did upload a picture of both sides of my drivers license and face and bank number. At the last step it demanded the payment and I started pressing backwards with the arrow and hopefully nothing got sent forward of my info. Altough this is outside of paypal I tought I should ask if my drivers license is out there and my iban number is there any action I should take?
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.