Scam

Djurwin
Contributor
Contributor
A company called modo mobi want my email adress to refund me money I was charged could this be a scam from them
Login to Me Too
11 REPLIES 11

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Djurwin 

If its within 180 days of you paying then they wouldn't need it, tell them that all they need to do is click on your transaction in their paypal account and then click on the refund option on that details page.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Djurwin
Contributor
Contributor
My phone was billed for it not PayPal but they said it’s how they refund
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Tricia

Hi @Djurwin

I can certainly understand your concerns. Is the company going to send you a PayPal payment? Are they requesting any additional details or asking you to do anything to receive the refund? 

I hope this information helps!

Thanks, 
PayPal_Tricia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Waveyyr
New Community Member
The same company sent me an email saying on the 29th of April they will start taking 5 pound a month I don’t know how to cancel it
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Waveyyr 

Check if you had a subscription set up.
Click on the profile tab (icon next to log out) > Click on payments third option along on the thick blue band top of page > "manage pre-approved payments.''

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

SethArk2136
Contributor
Contributor

I too had this problem. I reported it to Paypal, but they basically refused to do anything, though it's no longer an active payment. I'm very upset and might delete my paypal account over this, I'm not even sure how they got my email, when I sent an email to modo mobi I got a reply on a completely separate email address too. Very weird.

Login to Me Too

muggles708
Contributor
Contributor

@SethArk2136 @PayPal_Tricia This company has a history of scamming consumers. Take a look at their Trustpilot reviews to get an idea of the scale of the issue. They use clickjacking, malware and other exploits to trick consumers in to "subscriptions". In the past their scams were directed at phone-paid services (services paid for by adding charges to mobile phone bills). However, efforts by the regulator have made these exploits almost impossible, and consequently ModoMobi seem to now be targeting Paypal users exploiting the same methods. The regulator, the Phone-paid Services Authority, are currently investigating ModoMobi and it is likely that they will face a Tribunal in due course. It is to be hoped that Paypal will take a look at the history of this company and limit or eliminate their ability to defraud consumers using their underhand methods. Other companies seem to be beginning to use similar methods see Trustpilot reviews of SB7Mobile for example. These companies also have a history of concealing the fact that you are entering in to a subscription by making it appear that you are making a one-off payment. Be very careful when making payments and always read the small print. 

Login to Me Too

damong333
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all,

Not sure if anyone can help, but any knowledge on this matter would be appreciated. I've read the thread above.

I believe I have been scammed by Modo Mobi and the subscription payment they setup through Paypal was not authorised by me. Paypal just say that the payments was not unauthorised and always refer me back to Modi Mobi; I believe Paypal should be providing proof that this payment was authorised by me, not just pushing me back to the supplier.

Has anyone requested and been provided evidence before by Paypal of what approval they were given to pay out money to a supplier on a consumers behalf? I can't imagine Paypal will just pay out money to anyone who asks for it, so there must be some sort of digital audit trail to this. The most obvious route I guess is that a customer authorises the transaction by entering their credentials and password through the Paypal authorisation process,

Does anyone know:

1. Can Paypal, or indeed have they ever evidenced to customers that a request has been authorised by password and how do they do this?

2. Are there other ways that suppliers can request paypal to release funds which do not involve customers entering credentials and authenticating through Paypal?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@damong333 

Be careful what you agree to by NOT ticking a box during checkout when you buy something, often it may lead to a subscription being set up.

Check if you had a subscription set up.....if you did then of course Paypal would pay it as per your instructions.
Click on the profile tab (icon next to log out) > Click on payments third option along on the thick blue band top of page > "manage pre-approved payments.''

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.