Scam

Storozuk
New Community Member

I posted a Kijiji ad and someone is attempting to pay me through PayPal. however I believe I am not dealing with PayPal the email that is being used is a gmail

they are asking me to send 300.00 out of pocket to release the funds into my account. this doesn't seem standard. 

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Storozuk 

SCAM.

They encourage you to accept a 'direct' Paypal payment.
No funds or activity of the transaction shows in your Paypal account and any emails 'may' go into your junk/spam folders.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't because they don't actually have a Paypal account and have no intention of paying you.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.
They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

OR

They try and get you to send money NOT via paypal but by bank transfer or another companies vouchers or tokens saying you have to do it to activate your account / receive the money / upgrade to a business account or any other rubbish that they can think of.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal NEVER tell a seller that they have to send money in any way shape or form to 'recieve' funds.

Delete the emails and forget the scammer.

Also you may lose your seller protection on that site by using Paypal as it should be for items collected only shouldn't it?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.