Scam ?

JMAA101
New Community Member

Need assistance as I am new to PayPal and unsure if this email is genuine. I need to send money before I receive payment? "Hi my name is Mary and its my pleasure to help you. This transaction is 100% legitimate and safe. This message is originated from PayPal company services. Be aware that you are 100% safe with PayPal service and you do not need to worry about anything concerning this transaction as we are currently holding the money which is $3,650.00 AUD therefore you should make proper arrangements on how to get the Pickup Fee of $989.00 AUD sent to the address given to you by the buyer (Terence <removed>) so that we could be able to credit your bank account after you have sent us the Ria Money Transaction/Reference Number given to you at the Ria Money Transfer Services where you sent the money. As the part of our policy, this transaction is currently on hold in your Commonwealth Bank Account, We will only credit the money into your bank account after the successful completion of the whole transaction. Refusal to complete this transaction will only lead to a self-caused delay of our crediting the money into your bank account. The transaction has been screened and has proven to be 100% legal and real. You are hereby advised to go ahead with the transaction and send out the $989.00 AUD to the bearer before we are able to credit your bank account. Thank you for being a PayPal customer. Sincerely, PayPal." Please advise. Thanks in advance

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@JMAA101 

Absolute SCAM.

Paypal do not do escrow, any payment will show in your paypal balance BEFORE you have to send an item.

Paypal NEVER tells a seller to send funds for anything or for any reason apart from if a refund is required.

Paypal do NOT credit your bank account direct, it goes to your paypal balance and then you withdraw it when you want to.

Typical SCAM email, paypal does not work that way.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@JMAA101 

Absolute SCAM.

Paypal do not do escrow, any payment will show in your paypal balance BEFORE you have to send an item.

Paypal NEVER tells a seller to send funds for anything or for any reason apart from if a refund is required.

Paypal do NOT credit your bank account direct, it goes to your paypal balance and then you withdraw it when you want to.

Typical SCAM email, paypal does not work that way.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

JMAA101
New Community Member
Much appreciated thankyou for that Kern. Had my suspicions, just wanting to be certain. Again, thanks 🙂
Login to Me Too

66Ford
New Community Member

We had the same thing happen. I knew it was a scam. Received 3 different emails regarding transaction.  Is there a way to report the information to help catch these scammers?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@66Ford 

Been ongoing for at least 15 years and i post warning folks at least 5 times a day.

They use throwaway phones or hacked email addresses and work from an internet cafe somewhere in Africa / Asia so not sure how they can be 'caught' unfortunately.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @66Ford,

Yes, please! You can always forward the emails to spoof@paypal.com. @kernowlass is correct that scammers do pop up a lot and it's a tide to fight against much of the time, but we do what we can to get them reported when we are aware of them.

Thank you!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Pula
Contributor
Contributor
Hi guys i want to know that if i buy a phone from Someone using PayPal will i receive the amount back in case this is a scam?
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Pula 

That depends on MANY factors all listed in Paypals buyer protection policy for you to read so you can risk assess your transactions.
Legal (bottom right of Paypals pages) > user agreement > buyer protection.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.