Scam?

Martinmjay16
New Community Member

Hello, I received email from <removed> is it the real paypal service? Thanks for your answer.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Martinmjay16 

If its a spoof, NEVER USE ANY LINK.

Firstly if the email/text addressed you as ''Dear Member'' / ''Customer'' / ''Client'' OR your ''email address'' then that confirms its a spoof as paypal would address you by your full name eg Dear John Smith.

Secondly if there was a link OR attachment in that email/text to ''cancel'' any transaction or ''confirm'' any details then again it would be a spoof.

If there was a problem with your account Paypal would not ask you to click on an unsafe link in an email or by downloading an attachment, they would direct you to log in normally and go to the resolution or the message centre for more information.

More info here >>
https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/how-to-spot-fake-emails-faq2340/2

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/security/suspicious-activity

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Martinmjay16 

If its a spoof, NEVER USE ANY LINK.

Firstly if the email/text addressed you as ''Dear Member'' / ''Customer'' / ''Client'' OR your ''email address'' then that confirms its a spoof as paypal would address you by your full name eg Dear John Smith.

Secondly if there was a link OR attachment in that email/text to ''cancel'' any transaction or ''confirm'' any details then again it would be a spoof.

If there was a problem with your account Paypal would not ask you to click on an unsafe link in an email or by downloading an attachment, they would direct you to log in normally and go to the resolution or the message centre for more information.

More info here >>
https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/how-to-spot-fake-emails-faq2340/2

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/security/suspicious-activity

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

DJ0192
Contributor
Contributor
I also received message from weird email. A few days ago I posted on Estonian selling and buying website that I’m selling earphones for 30 euro and the same day I received a message from Emily Boulden in Estonian language that she wants to buy it, but she wants to answer for email and then she starts to talking in English. She says that she is from US army and for now She is in Germany and she is fine to also pay for shopping and the shopping agent will come to my home to receive this earphones and she can pay only through PayPal or bank account. I was scared to give my bank account details to here, so I gave PayPal. I don’t use it really often and I don’t any details about my bank accounts or credit cards on that, so that looks more safety. For next day I received email from PayPal that she transferred 90euro (30 euro for products and 50 euro for delivery), but I didn’t receive anything to PayPal and told to Emily about that. She said something like I need to pay deposit to deliver company and receive the bill that I need to send for confirmation to PayPal and then I can receive my money. I send that email address to PayPal helping centre and said to this woman that it all looks like scam and I don’t want deal anymore with here.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@DJ0192 

SCAM.

No funds or activity of the transaction shows in your Paypal account and any emails 'may' go into your junk or spam folders.

They don't quibble on cost and may also say they can't view the item as they are disabled or working abroad etc etc but they will arrange a shipping agent / courier to collect it.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't because they don't actually have a Paypal account and have no intention of paying you.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

The 'fake' paypal email will tell you that the buyer has paid for the item + shipping costs but you must send those shipping costs to the courier/ shipping agent via anther payment processor than Paypal OR via providing some vouchers or tokens BEFORE the funds are released to you.
They are not interested in the item, they just want that couriers/shipping funds and you will never see money in your paypal balance.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service eg Moneygram or Western Union etc.
Also their is no seller protection on paypal for any type of item that is collected by the buyer.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.