Scam ?

Phill28
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all,

I have just this received a txt from 62 226 

Paypal fraud alert: are you trying to pay $583.49 USD? If yes, reply 1. If no reply 2. Text & data rates apply.

Is this genuine or a scam.

Regards

Phill

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

c776727
New Community Member

I’ve got the same problem.  Changed my password 10 times on different machines but I keep getting these alerts AND the transaction is in my account!   Someone is genuinely drawing down money via a fraudulent transaction.  Opened 2 paypal cases and they don’t know why this is happening 

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @Phill28,

I'm sorry to hear that there are potentially unauthorized payment attempts happening in your account. To be on the safe side, you can contact PayPal by phone and let them know you have received these texts. They can check the history of your account to see if these payments were attempted. If someone is accessing your account, it's good to know so you can change your password and re-secure your account.

To find the number to call, please click Contact Us on the PayPal website, and then click Call us and log in to get the validation code to speed up your call.

Hi @c776727,

If this is happening even after changing your password and you're able to confirm with customer service that the texts are coming from us due to unauthorized payment attempts, you may need to run a virus scan and then also change your email account's password.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.