Scam report

TOPCHOI
Contributor
Contributor

Be aware!

I post a camera to sell on Gumtree. after 30mins, received this email. 

We emailed for a while then I asked the business card of NZOG, She can't have it so sent her driver license that has been matched with her email on the email. Then I googled NZOG I've found some scam story from Paypal. 

The same company name, similar story. 

Name: Kathleen <removed>

<removed>

Thanks for the reply am buying it for my only daugther for a gift due to the sucess in her exam so whats your final price and i will like you to send me some picture of it, i work with New Zealand Oil and Gas (NZOG) and we are presently offshore in New Zealand Taranaki Basin on kapo project so I won't be able to come for the inspection due to the nature of my work, also i will be paying via paypal or you can alternatively send your bsb and acct number if you have no paypal acct and i will arrange for the shipping.

Awaiting for your reply

100% Scam!!!! Do not send any items

Login to Me Too
24 REPLIES 24

Hello all, Just received this scam email, thanks to community for the thread, Sender - Bridgeth <removed> <removed> Thanks for the swift response i'm Bridget by name, and do as well advise on the least amount you will like to give it away as i'm buying this for my new apartment,and due to the nature of my job and location...i will not be able to come for inspection,am a very busy type as i work long hours everyday,I have a private courier agent that will come for the pick up after the payment has been made... Regarding the payment, i will be paying you through PayPal please get back to me with your PayPal details so i can process the payment,OR you can alternatively send your bsb and account number if you have no PayPal account. Thanks

Login to Me Too

Summertimetess
Contributor
Contributor

This person is using my sisters name and drivers license to scam people out of money <Removed> the REAL KATHLEEN DID NOT AND NEVER WOULD DO THIS, there will be a police report made and my sister will get her good name back, she only found out yesterday that her good name was being used in this disgusting way

Login to Me Too

ambth
New Community Member
I got the same from: <Removed> 

Thanks a lot for the email. I am away at sea at the moment,i work with New Zealand Oil and Gas (NZOG) and we are presently offshore in New Zealand Taranaki Basin on kapo project. We do not have access to phone at the moment,its 5days off and 25days on,which is why I contacted you with internet messaging facility. Where is it located at the moment?

I am buying it for my for my holiday and i want it delivered before my arrival.I won't be able to come for the inspection due to the nature of my work and i would have called but our calling is restricted.Regarding the payment,pls get back to me with your final asking price and your paypal details so i can process the payment,you can alternatively send your bsb and acct number if you have no paypal acct.I have also contacted my courier who will come for pick up after the whole fund has been cleared into your acct.

Await your reply.
Login to Me Too

alexmccormack3
New Community Member

@TOPCHOI wrote:

Be aware!

I post a camera to sell on Gumtree. after 30mins, received this email. 

We emailed for a while then I asked the business card of NZOG, She can't have it so sent her driver license that has been matched with her email on the email. Then I googled NZOG I've found some scam story from Paypal. 

The same company name, similar story. 

Name: Kathleen <removed>

<removed>

Thanks for the reply am buying it for my only daugther for a gift due to the sucess in her exam so whats your final price and i will like you to send me some picture of it, i work with New Zealand Oil and Gas (NZOG) and we are presently offshore in New Zealand Taranaki Basin on kapo project so I won't be able to come for the inspection due to the nature of my work, also i will be paying via paypal or you can alternatively send your bsb and acct number if you have no paypal acct and i will arrange for the shipping.

Awaiting for your reply

100% Scam!!!! Do not send any items

She now goes by the name Lindsay J Farrell and she said she worked in at the 'New Zealand Taranaki Basin on kapo project'. I googled to see what the project was when this thread came up !!!! So glad I checked first because I was going to post the item to her tomorrow !!! This is what she first said to me, it seemed pretty strange 

"Thanks for the response. I am buying it for my son who just graduated top of his class in University, he studied Medicine and Psychology (Physiology) in United State of America (USA) and am so proud of him .i want it as a surprise package to appreciate him towards his achievement and i will want it to be ship to him.Plus can you send me more pic?

I work with AWE New Zealand Pty Ltd and we are presently offshore in New Zealand Taranaki Basin on kapo project. We do not have access to phone at the moment,its 15days off and 15days on,which is why I contacted you with internet messaging facility. And why are you selling it if you don't mind my asking.

As regards the payment, I can pay you through PayPal account ,please get back to me with your PayPal account so i can proceed with the payment. Await your reply."

Login to Me Too

Funkilicious
Contributor
Contributor

Thankyou everyone for posting, had the exact thing happen and thanks

to yours reports it saved the day

Login to Me Too

canadianotter
Contributor
Contributor

I received the EXACT same emails from Kathleen for a dresser I had online.  Total scam artist.   Thankfully I googled her before getting stuck by a scam.

Login to Me Too

mikedh
Contributor
Contributor

Just received the same message.

"Thanks a lot for the email. I am away at sea at the moment,i work with New Zealand Oil and Gas (NZOG) and we are presently offshore in New Zealand Taranaki Basin on kapo project. We do not have access to phone at the moment,its 5days off and 25days on,which is why I contacted you with internet messaging facility. Where is it located at the moment?

I am buying it for my for my holiday and i want it delivered before my arrival.I won't be able to come for the inspection due to the nature of my work and i would have called but our calling is restricted.Regarding the payment,pls get back to me with your final asking price and your paypal details so i can process the payment,you can alternatively send your bsb and acct number if you have no paypal acct.I have also contacted my courier who will come for pick up after the whole fund has been cleared into your acct.

Await your reply."

Crap job working 25 days with only 5 days off; should join a union.  I replied that I will only accept cash so I suspect no more contact will be made.  

Login to Me Too

taxi0_3
New Community Member

New email address for this scam is <removed>

Also NZOG have listed this as a scam on their site https://www.nzog.com/contact-us/

Login to Me Too

daniellegab
New Community Member

I just had the same thing happen to me! Thank you to those who posted their experiences you just saved me from this scam! 

Login to Me Too

Nadsy
New Community Member
fyi, I have just received a similar email to the other people.  re: a keyboard listed for sale on gumtree.  
See below email from a supposed <removed>

Thanks a lot for the email. I am away at sea at the moment,i work with New Zealand Oil and Gas (NZOG) and we are presently offshore in New Zealand Taranaki Basin on kapo project. We do not have access to phone at the moment,its 5days off and 25days on,which is why I contacted you with internet messaging facility. Where is it located at the moment?

I am buying it  i want it delivered before my arrival.I won't be able to come for the inspection due to the nature of my work and i would have called but our calling is restricted.Regarding the payment,pls get back to me with your final asking price and your paypal details so i can process the payment you can easily log on to www.paypal.com and register an account with them if you dont have,or you can alternatively send your bsb and acct number if you have no paypal acct.I have also contacted my courier who will come for pick up after the whole fund has been cleared into your acct.

Await your reply.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.