Scam or not?

JohnCR89
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, I don't think I have chosen the correct option for the information I am looking for but I would like for someone to help me with my query please. Someone told me he was going to send me money to my PayPal account via my PayPal address. Apparently after trying to send me £1,000 he realised that his account had been outdated and in order for him to update it he would need to get an iTunes gift card. He told me that he would get an iTunes card himself but apparently they don't sell them in Greece (where he is at the moment). He says that he's not allowed to purchase one online until he can update the account. I asked him could he do a bank transfer instead and he said he is having problems with his bank wallet but he's PayPal is linked with his bank account and without the bank wallet he can't access his PayPal. So I bought a €15 iTunes card and I sent him the cold and apparently the amount of €15 was too small and asked me to get one for €25. I asked him how did I know whether or not this was genuine and I asked him how do I know whether or not this is a scam. He told me it's not a scam and that he called his bank and they told him it is a self-service option that he needs to fix with iTunes. Apparently he was hoping his bank to fix it for him but they seemingly told him that he needs to fix this with iTunes. Is this a scam or am I being told the truth?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@JohnCR89 

Its a SCAM.

Why on earth would you need to buy an itunes voucher to update a paypal account  Smiley Frustrated

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

JohnCR89
Contributor
Contributor
Ok thank you for replying
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.