Scam or not?

svensander
New Community Member

Recently I sold a good on an Estonian website and the buyer wanted to pay me via paypal.

It is the email that confuses me, it was sent from <removed> and the email looks borderline fishy.

Is it the right email?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@svensander 

Scam to get you to ship out the item and not pay. The scam is that you ship out, give them a valid tracking number and then you sit there waiting and waiting for payment but you have not been paid. PayPal doesn't send an email like this when you receive payment. PayPal send a very basic email: who paid, how much, short item description (if included by the sender) and transaction ID number.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@svensander 

If email sent is claiming to be from PayPal then it is fake/spook/scam.

Login to Me Too

svensander
New Community Member

@sharpiemarker 

Here is a slice from the email:

We are contacting you concerning the transaction between you and our client -. We will like to notify you that a payment of - for an auctioned item (Goods) has been deposited into our database by our client, - and it will soon be credited into your account, the money was sent through the Service Option Secure Payment so that the transaction can be Protected and Monitored with adequate security measures.
We also want you to know that we at PayPal© stands as a third party for this transaction and we are here to protect both the buyer and seller. Strictly, that the buyer can not stop the transfer or withdraw the transfer without your approval.
So therefore, all you have to do now is to send us the Shipment Receipt (Invoice) given to you in the courier (Estonian Postal Service) office after you have shipped the item. Once again be rest assured that you will have your money, Once the Shipment Information is received from you and being processed and confirmed Authentic.
We are sorry for any inconveniences this might have caused and we want you to know that the total sum of - is ready and available to be credited into your (-) account; - as soon as the necessary step is taken by you.
Login to Me Too
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@svensander 

Scam to get you to ship out the item and not pay. The scam is that you ship out, give them a valid tracking number and then you sit there waiting and waiting for payment but you have not been paid. PayPal doesn't send an email like this when you receive payment. PayPal send a very basic email: who paid, how much, short item description (if included by the sender) and transaction ID number.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.