Scam SMS text message

ciamagno
New Community Member

Just to keep everyone alert:

i have just received a fake SMS message from someone saying that: "We have detected unauthorised access to your PayPal account. Please login to your account at  this was sent from the phone number: +[Removed. Phone #s not permitted]/p>

IMG_1390 (2).jpg

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ciamagno

Yep its a spoof, DO NOT USE ANY LINK.

Firstly if the email/ text addressed you as ''Dear Member'' / ''Customer'' / ''Client'' OR your ''email address'' then that confirms its a spoof as paypal would address you by your full name eg Dear John Smith.

Secondly if there was a link OR attachment in that email link to ''cancel'' any transaction or ''confirm'' any details then again it would be a spoof.

If there was a problem with your account Paypal would not ask you to click on an unsafe link in an email or by downloading an attachment, they would direct you to log in normally and go to the resolution or the message centre for more information.

More info here >>
https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/phishing
https://www.paypal.com/uk/smarthelp/article/how-would-i-spot-fake-emails-faq2340

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
20 REPLIES 20
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ciamagno

Yep its a spoof, DO NOT USE ANY LINK.

Firstly if the email/ text addressed you as ''Dear Member'' / ''Customer'' / ''Client'' OR your ''email address'' then that confirms its a spoof as paypal would address you by your full name eg Dear John Smith.

Secondly if there was a link OR attachment in that email link to ''cancel'' any transaction or ''confirm'' any details then again it would be a spoof.

If there was a problem with your account Paypal would not ask you to click on an unsafe link in an email or by downloading an attachment, they would direct you to log in normally and go to the resolution or the message centre for more information.

More info here >>
https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/phishing
https://www.paypal.com/uk/smarthelp/article/how-would-i-spot-fake-emails-faq2340

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Danbottomburp
New Community Member

I also have had 2 texts now, saying my account is limited.

Would love to know how they get my number

But the link if looked at gives away its a scam, one has KIdsclub.com in it and the 2nd had Xmas2k.com   haha

Dan 

Login to Me Too

debra1989
Contributor
Contributor

Just had spam message number 2, yes I would like to to know where they got my number from to. Forwarded as I always do to phone company to report but doubt that will do any good!

Login to Me Too

debra1989
Contributor
Contributor

Just had message number 2. I would like to know how the got my number too!

Login to Me Too

John_S33

My (Elder) sister who does not have a PayPal account recieved a call from +4[Removed. Phone #s not permitted]/strong> this morning. She of course terminated the call and rang me.

So keep a record of this number.

Login to Me Too

Diggledom
New Community Member
I've just had 2 texts with different links telling me to log in and restore access because it's been restricted after suspicious activity. 2 in the space of 4 hours! And they're both different link addresses so there's a bunch of very active scammers out there just now.
Login to Me Too

debra1989
Contributor
Contributor

Had my 2 messages within 10 minutes of each other. Needless to say I didn’t act on it, sadly though some people may not be that scam savvy and would do! Reported to phone company but doubt that will help. Worth a try though.

Login to Me Too

debra1989
Contributor
Contributor

Just had a text message stating that my account t is limited and to use link to access etc!

Login to Me Too

GibblesL
New Community Member
My call came on my landline purporting to be an sms message from Paypal. As paypal don’t have my landline number I was instantly suspicious. I did double check my account and all is well.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.