Scam-Dante <removed>

Oliver510
Contributor
Contributor

I received an offer for a backpack I was selling that asked me to text them as they had some questions. They then asked me to include a $500 eBay gift card with the shipment and said they would send me the money. They claimed that it was a gift for their daughter and that they were a trucker who didn’t have time to buy one themselves. I then received an email from <removed> . All other emails I have received from PayPal have been from at paypal.com and I doubt PayPal would send anything from a Gmail account. Not to mention the email looked pretty fishy with grammatical errors and strange fonts. He had asked me to send it to <removed>. Anyways, look out for Dante <removed>, anyone asking for gift cards or any emails not from at paypal.com.

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

aasiea
New Community Member
Wow, I am a new user on eBay and I wanted to sell my history book. The buyer gives me his number and asks me to message him. So I did. This man Dante said he would buy this book for his nephew for his birthday. THAT SHOULD’VE BEEN THE RED FLAG! Who buys a used history book for their nephew But since I am too trusting of people I let it slide, I thought maybe his nephew is a history nerd. This is exactly what he says to me via text message, “ I want it shipped to my Nephew in Georgia as his birthday gift. i would like you to also get a eBay Gift Card of $300 included in the package before shipment. i work with the US Marines and not able to have it shipped, I will add $300 to your payment for the eBay Gift Card, $30 for gas and stress & $50 to cover for the shipping cost.“ Then he gets super pushy like are you going to do soon... like chill dude I got a lot to do in a day but I said sure why not. After all he was paying me right!? WRONG! I didn’t know I was getting scammed until I got an email from “paypal” saying something a long the lines of that before the transaction transfers, I need to send verification that I bought the eBay gift cards. Thankfully there was a huge red warning that said this could be scam. Also RED FLAGS that I kinda let slide too becasue I was like okay it might be a mistake. So I ask him so I send you the verification and he said, “ Once you purchase the gift card send the picture of the gift card with receipt to PayPal they will tell you what to do okay ?” That is when HIT ME! Bc I know PayPal doesn’t do such things or have such features. So I searched online and found this and thank goodness I did. I blocked him and forwarded the email to PayPal!!!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.