Scam-Dante <removed>

Oliver510
Contributor
Contributor

I received an offer for a backpack I was selling that asked me to text them as they had some questions. They then asked me to include a $500 eBay gift card with the shipment and said they would send me the money. They claimed that it was a gift for their daughter and that they were a trucker who didn’t have time to buy one themselves. I then received an email from <removed> . All other emails I have received from PayPal have been from at paypal.com and I doubt PayPal would send anything from a Gmail account. Not to mention the email looked pretty fishy with grammatical errors and strange fonts. He had asked me to send it to <removed>. Anyways, look out for Dante <removed>, anyone asking for gift cards or any emails not from at paypal.com.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

Crosade
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Oliver for bringing that person's attempts at scamming to light. Did you reach out to ebay and paypal about this person? If not make sure to do so with both organizations, be sure to include your conversation's transcripts. Did the original transaction go through without the $500 gift card? Even if it occurred through your private email, they may be able to attach the other email to another account thus two birds one stone.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10
Solved

Crosade
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Oliver for bringing that person's attempts at scamming to light. Did you reach out to ebay and paypal about this person? If not make sure to do so with both organizations, be sure to include your conversation's transcripts. Did the original transaction go through without the $500 gift card? Even if it occurred through your private email, they may be able to attach the other email to another account thus two birds one stone.

Login to Me Too

kimberlywise
New Community Member

I was just scammed today...

>Alright thanks but I would love to have it mailed to my Cousin in Ohio as a birthday gift,i want you to get an eBay Gift Card of $300 inside the package before you ship it and I will add $300 for the eBay gift card, $30 for the shipping through UPS/FedEx and $50 for the inconvenience, are you cool with that?

My response:

>All money must be paid upfront, otherwise I know this is the "Dante Richman scam" described in the PayPal community.

Login to Me Too

Jasgo9967
Contributor
Contributor

This is what I received from “Dante <removed>/Dante <removed>” Okay thanks..I want it shipped to my cousin in Colorado as a Birthday gift..I would like you to also get an iTunes gift card of $500 included in the package 📦 before shipment...I am a US Navy officer so I won't able to do that ,So I will add $600to the payment $500 for the gift card and $50 for shipping and $50 for gas and stress.Are you cool with that?

Login to Me Too

LocalGayGirl99
New Community Member
The message I got from him was as followed: Okay thanks..I want it shipped to my cousin in Florida as a Birthday gift..I would like you to also get an eBay gift card of $300 and included it in the package 📦 before shipment...I am a US Navy officer so I won’t able to do that ,So I will add $400 to the payment $300 for the gift card and $50 for shipping and $50 for gas and stress.Are you cool with that?
Login to Me Too

Liliror
I received that same message from him today. I am a new seller on eBay, so I found the entire situation a little bit suspicious and when I questioned him, he went as far as to send me pictures of his ID card as proof of legitimacy. Thank God I found this community on PayPal that has experienced the same situation before I actually sent anything. Terrible!
Login to Me Too

Bananna1
New Community Member
I unfortunately did not heed my gut and fell victim to this evil person Dante😤 I am still working with PayPal to help retrieve $ “stolen”
Login to Me Too

ajagrace
New Community Member

Today I too was ALMOST a victim to "Dante Richman." He bid $150 for a Psychology textbook I had listed and asked me to text him at a certain number, which I'm most positive is from one of those apps that generate a fake number for you. I then proceeded to text him, and per his request I sent additional photos to prove the condition was up to standards. He then asks for my email, and tells me he wants to have the item shipped to Georgia as a gift for his nephew. In my mind I just thought that was weird because who buys a Psychology textbook for their nephew? In addition to having the item shipped to Georgia, he wanted me to get an eBay gift card with an amount o $300 dollars shipped with the item. His text to me read: "I work with the US Marines and not able to have it shipped, I will add $300 to your payment for the eBay Gift Card, $30 for gas and stress & $50 to cover for the shipping cost." He persisted for me to get the gift card today, which made no sense to me if I was going to send it to his nephew tomorrow as discussed. When I did not respond within 30 seconds (LITERALLY) he sent me 3 texts in a row asking if I could get the gift card today! "Can you get the gift card today and get everything done to ship out tomorrow" "???" "Okay can you get the gift card today??" Rude.

So I say yes, because I was just trying to be nice, and just was waiting for a notification from palpal, an email from PayPal, and also was checking to see if the money he had said he was going to send me was in "activity" or "balance" but to my surprise it was not. The email I DID receive was from an email saying "***YOU GOT MONEY FROM YOUR BUYER***" as the subject, and when I clicked on it, looked weird and like a scam email. I just assumed it was a copy of his receipt but still the money wasn't in my PayPal account or bank account so I told him, to which he replied "The reason why the funds hasn't reflect on your account is because Paypal needs to verify the gift cards from you first as a proof of purchase because some sellers will received a cleared funds in their account and they will refuse to purchase the card. So money has been debited from my account, Paypal is the one holding funds until you email them the picture of the card for confirmation so they can release all your funds into your account before shipment. It's a measure for protecting both sellers and buyers." "Did you understand??" "?????" So I just stopped replying. Checked their eBay account (deactivated). So yeah, look out for "Dante Richman" or someone with a similar motive. Waste of my time especially because I really needed to sell the item. 

Login to Me Too

aasiea
New Community Member
THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED TO ME. Everything word for word! Thank goodness my email told me that it might be dangerous or else I would’ve fell for it.
Login to Me Too

Popekyle88
Contributor
Contributor
Good, i want it shipped to my Nephew in Florida as his birthday gift. i would like you to also get a eBay Gift Card of $400 included in the package before shipment, i work with the USA Marines and not able to have it shipped, I will add $400 to your payment for the eBay Gift Card, $30 for gas and stress & $50 to cover for the shipping cost. . Sounds pretty familiar sont it..
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.