SCAMMED USING PAYPAL GIFT INVOICE

RhenKirby-Josh
Contributor
Contributor

Someone sent me an invoice. It automatically went 'paid' even I didn't agree yet. The scammer already blocked me. It says it will be sent after 3 hours so I still have time to recover my money. 

"

Invoice Details

This invoice was edited on 13 Apr 2018 at 8:38 PM GMT+8

Ceejay Jones
email removed

INVOICE

Paid
Invoice #:
Invoice Date:
13 Apr 2018

Due date:
13 Apr 2018

Amount due:
$0.00

Bill To:

email removed
DescriptionQuantity Price Amount
Payment
1$80.00$80.00
 Subtotal$80.00
 Total$80.00
 Amount Paid-$80.00
 Amount Due$0.00 USD

Terms and Conditions

This is a PayPal Gift (Family/Friends). This amount will take up to 3 hours to be credited on your Paypal balance. This payment is non-refundable, no cancel and no chargeback."

That is what it says on the invoice. PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

Brandon-P
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@RhenKirby-Josh wrote:

Someone sent me an invoice. It automatically went 'paid' even I didn't agree yet. The scammer already blocked me. It says it will be sent after 3 hours so I still have time to recover my money. 

"

Invoice Details

This invoice was edited on 13 Apr 2018 at 8:38 PM GMT+8

Ceejay Jones
email removed

INVOICE

Paid
Invoice #:
Invoice Date:
13 Apr 2018

Due date:
13 Apr 2018

Amount due:
$0.00

Bill To:

email removed < Note from Bradley P; never include personal details on a thread. >
DescriptionQuantity Price Amount
Payment
1$80.00$80.00
 Subtotal$80.00
 Total$80.00
 Amount Paid-$80.00
 Amount Due$0.00 USD

Terms and Conditions

This is a PayPal Gift (Family/Friends). This amount will take up to 3 hours to be credited on your Paypal balance. This payment is non-refundable, no cancel and no chargeback."

That is what it says on the invoice. PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Hi @RhenKirby-Josh,

This looks like a fraudulent email.

"Invoice #:

0123" is one indication of such.

PayPal would not honour an invoice, without permission from the receiver of the request.

1. Forward the entire email to spoof@paypal.com.
  2. Do not alter the subject line or forward the message as an attachment.
  3. Delete the suspicious email from your inbox.

PayPal will look into it and email you a response to let you know if it is indeed fraudulent. In the meantime, don't click any links or download any attachments within the suspicious email.

In the rare event that funds are deducted from your PayPal account, immediately file an Unauthorized Transaction claim, with details of the received email and any other evidence to relieve liability.

Login to Me Too

RhenKirby-Josh
Contributor
Contributor

No it is not Brandon as it shows in my activity page in my account!

Login to Me Too

Brandon-P
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@RhenKirby-Josh wrote:

No it is not Brandon as it shows in my activity page in my account!

Hi @RhenKirby-Josh,

I did not confirm it was 100% fake, hence I provided their spoof email address to forward the email and receive clarification. The invoice number "0123" is false and the grammar in the terms and conditions section is poor, which could mean the following:

The fraudster has full access to your account, has made the transaction on your behalf and sent a fake email to you. The fake email could be an attempt to divert your attention from fraud to a forgotten subscription or something similar.

Since it is visible on your PayPal account, please phone their Customer Service. You can click here to retrieve their contact number. Please do not use the email option or their social media, as it can take more than 24 hours to receive a response back.

Login to Me Too

RhenKirby-Josh
Contributor
Contributor

Too bad they only have a US number. Im from the Philippines. I DM'ed their twitter support account about it and also sent an email.

The email i got wasnt fake because its from paypal's email and also it showed on my summary dashboard.

Login to Me Too

Brandon-P
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@RhenKirby-Josh wrote:

Too bad they only have a US number. Im from the Philippines. I DM'ed their twitter support account about it and also sent an email.

The email i got wasnt fake because its from paypal's email and also it showed on my summary dashboard.

Hi @RhenKirby-Josh,

We are the UK forum, therefore advice could differ from Philippines.

On the contrary, I am confident that the email is fake.

PayPal would never write "This is a PayPal Gift (Family/Friends). This amount will take up to 3 hours to be credited on your Paypal balance. This payment is non-refundable, no cancel and no chargeback." in their email notification. It is badly written grammatically and factually incorrect.

I do not doubt that your PayPal account has unauthorized activity, but the email is a part of the equation, since PayPal would not send that kind of email to you.

I recommend that you contact PayPal by phone in your local jurisdiction to resolve this further.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.