cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SCAM by Paypal CServ Phone # in Google!!

SOLVED
New Community Member

Re: SCAM by Paypal CServ Phone # in Google!!

The same exact thing just happened to me! I almost fell for it with the code showing it came from PayPal. The red flags went off when he asked me to go to Dollar Tree and give him a google play card number. By that time he was already in my account!! I feel like a freaking idiot!! Why can’t they block this from popping up off of search engine. It was the first thing that popped up for me! And I could hear other operators scamming other people while talking to him.
Contributor

Yep, some scammer is pretending to be a PayPal ad in Google searches and listing their scam phone number as the contact number. If you Google "PayPal contact" or "PayPal customer service" the scammer's fake PayPal ad is at the top. This is super dangerous for tech illiterate people. PayPal needs to get on this.
New Community Member

The same exact thing happened to me and they asked me for my credit number as well. I realized it was a scam when they asked me to go get a google play card and by then, my password to PayPal was changed. 

Contributor

I'm so sorry, it's very alarming I know.  We have to do something!  The first person who replied somehow marked this thread as Solved...  but I think we need to report it to a government source.  Paypal is no help and not listening.  I wonder who online would want to do a report on this to reach millions?     

Contributor

I'm shocked it still going on, means NOBODY is listening!  I'm glad you spelled it out because it is happening just that easy, it's not about being tech-savvy this can happen to anyone.  I don't understand why Paypal doesn't care about this, we trust them with direct access to our money and this is a problem!!  

New Community Member

This happened to me today. Called the number on the Google search , said my account was hacked by someone in Oklahoma City and made me stop at the nearest store to purchase 3 $50 cards. Once I got through the **bleep** process of giving the ID numbers on the card the “ Security team” need to verify one last time to change the account. He then asked me to purchase 3 more cards and I knew then I was getting **bleep**. Googled “PayPal Google Play cards “ and saw the scam all over the net. I should have known better and can’t believe I got myself that far. The issue is also with google allowing ads to be purchased as a fake website and number for a huge company. I filed for a refund directly with google and will see what happens. I phoned the scammers back and told them politely to go f#^¥ themselves and to go hell and they told me they are “the love being the devil, think people are worthless and that they wish everyone would die “ - no joke.
Contributor

How to get a live person

Pro tip for reaching a real live PayPal person: 

1. Call their REAL customer service number: 

2. You'll get a robot that wants a one time code or your phone number / social

• Any attempts to go through their automated system will NOT end up getting you to a live person. Continue to step 3 if you want a real person.

3. Say "I don't have one", then press 0 through the next 4-5 questions/requests to verify account.

4. You will reach a live agent, after waiting ~30 minutes who will then ask you to verify account info.

Found this method through <removed>

New Community Member

Absolutely almost fell into this scam. Same thing where I looked up the number via Google. The scammer wanted $500.00 claiming someone stole my PayPal credit. Oh, it was a bad day but it could have been worse if I fell for this and paid it. I complained to PayPal.