SCAM by Paypal CServ Phone # in Google!!

FedUp1234
Contributor
Contributor

**Paypal NEEDS TO PAY ATTENTION & HELP FIX this SCAM!!!**  I contacted Paypal while in the car from Google. The guy asked for my email then said for security he had to send me a verification code to speak with me, he texted me a number, I gave it to him, then he went on to say my account had a security problem it was through Google and I needed to purchase a $50 Google Play card give him the numbers off it and I would be reimbursed and to prove this he gave me the name of my bank that was listed on my Paypal account.  When I questioned him he got short and tried to explain again, I stopped him and said I wanted to speak with Google first.  He offered to call me back to which I said No.  It was ALL A SCAM!!  I found the email where he changed my password so it happened for sure.  I changed my password to Paypal, contacted my bank to verify nothing had been touched and went on Paypal to report it (ended up in chat) the guy at Paypal blamed me for calling, told me to change my password and that Paypal has the best security & never been breached...Really?  I have the phone number where I spoke to the scammer, a screenshot of the Google search for customer service and nobody cares!  This was WAY TOO easy, the password change policy MUST be corrected right NOW!!  Somebody is using PAYPAL's listing in Google and they must FIX it before people get hurt.  In the meantime, I would like to know why this scammer didn't just send himself my money while he had my account open??  And went with the Google Play card scam instead?  So he's less 

Login to Me Too
23 REPLIES 23

Jokuma85

Similar incident just occurred to myself. Called the customer service number and was connected to an agent to help me transfer the funds to my acct to pay a bill. The scammer asked for the info off the gift card, I called amex I was told to have paypal stop transactions...i even had the list of accounts and submitted via message center as well as email. I'm currently on hold which has been 3 hrs now...did anyone from paypal reach out and issue you a refund.

Login to Me Too

Jamie0423
New Community Member

This exact thing just happened to me they took over 350 dollars out of my account PayPal refuses to give it back and deny my dispute says it was not an unauthorized transaction.. how do I go about it to get my money back

Login to Me Too

bricon69
Contributor
Contributor

I was notified by a friend's mother that someone contacted her posing as me snd asked for $209, which I wouldn’t do, but being caring she sent $200 to an email she had a screen shot of. I then called the correct PayPal customer service number <removed>. Proceeded through their selection process saying I need a representative. 25 minutes or so a man answers in an accent as if from India) saying Thank you for calling PayPal. This is Mike can I ask your name, then told me he was send in a verification Cade, then asked last 4 digits of card on record. I told him what was going on and he was in my account seeing what I saw. Next thing I knew he was in my bank app and told me everything was compromised. He could access everything in my phone from connecting to him on that call. It is scary. I verified that I called the correct number with a rep. Another time I called, got a guy that sounded just like the scammer, told him snd he went to transfer me. I wound up in the phone with another customer in limbo on a line crystal clear. I got her name and number for a witness as to the occurrence. This guy was able to scam and hack a bit and there’s no way PayPal isn’t liable as much as this has gone on. However I’m of the opinion these guys do actually work for PayPal, or contract with PayPal as an overseas call center. Only one of the many they have. I believe they are likely corrupt and U.S. laws are hard to be enforced on foreign soil. I wound not have been in contact with such a person if I hadn’t called PayPal, therefore they are responsible for providing a secure platform to do business. As much as this has happened it seems likely media attention ma be necessary.

Login to Me Too

MikaMae17
Contributor
Contributor
Its 100% true happened to me today $800 I got ripped off or I’m distraught
Login to Me Too

rrodgers
New Community Member
The same exact thing just happened to me! I almost fell for it with the code showing it came from PayPal. The red flags went off when he asked me to go to Dollar Tree and give him a google play card number. By that time he was already in my account!! I feel like a freaking idiot!! Why can’t they block this from popping up off of search engine. It was the first thing that popped up for me! And I could hear other operators scamming other people while talking to him.
Login to Me Too

Isatronium
Contributor
Contributor
Yep, some scammer is pretending to be a PayPal ad in Google searches and listing their scam phone number as the contact number. If you Google "PayPal contact" or "PayPal customer service" the scammer's fake PayPal ad is at the top. This is super dangerous for tech illiterate people. PayPal needs to get on this.
Login to Me Too

Anna123445
New Community Member

The same exact thing happened to me and they asked me for my credit number as well. I realized it was a scam when they asked me to go get a google play card and by then, my password to PayPal was changed. 

Login to Me Too

FedUp1234
Contributor
Contributor

I'm so sorry, it's very alarming I know.  We have to do something!  The first person who replied somehow marked this thread as Solved...  but I think we need to report it to a government source.  Paypal is no help and not listening.  I wonder who online would want to do a report on this to reach millions?     

Login to Me Too

bricon69
Contributor
Contributor
PayPal isn’t doing anything about it. They are allowing their customers to be preyed upon by scammers and doing nothing. As the like to say, that is against community standards. I’m an educated person who doesn’t think of how to scam and fraud people for a living. That’s what they count on. They catch you off guard and are able to manipulate your device I order to convince you they are who they say. They are hackers who use their hacking ability to commit fraud. No help from PayPal as they act like I’m speaking another language when explaining what happened.
Login to Me Too

FedUp1234
Contributor
Contributor

I'm shocked it still going on, means NOBODY is listening!  I'm glad you spelled it out because it is happening just that easy, it's not about being tech-savvy this can happen to anyone.  I don't understand why Paypal doesn't care about this, we trust them with direct access to our money and this is a problem!!  

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.