SCAM by Paypal CServ Phone # in Google!!

FedUp1234
Contributor
Contributor

**Paypal NEEDS TO PAY ATTENTION & HELP FIX this SCAM!!!**  I contacted Paypal while in the car from Google. The guy asked for my email then said for security he had to send me a verification code to speak with me, he texted me a number, I gave it to him, then he went on to say my account had a security problem it was through Google and I needed to purchase a $50 Google Play card give him the numbers off it and I would be reimbursed and to prove this he gave me the name of my bank that was listed on my Paypal account.  When I questioned him he got short and tried to explain again, I stopped him and said I wanted to speak with Google first.  He offered to call me back to which I said No.  It was ALL A SCAM!!  I found the email where he changed my password so it happened for sure.  I changed my password to Paypal, contacted my bank to verify nothing had been touched and went on Paypal to report it (ended up in chat) the guy at Paypal blamed me for calling, told me to change my password and that Paypal has the best security & never been breached...Really?  I have the phone number where I spoke to the scammer, a screenshot of the Google search for customer service and nobody cares!  This was WAY TOO easy, the password change policy MUST be corrected right NOW!!  Somebody is using PAYPAL's listing in Google and they must FIX it before people get hurt.  In the meantime, I would like to know why this scammer didn't just send himself my money while he had my account open??  And went with the Google Play card scam instead?  So he's less 

Login to Me Too
23 REPLIES 23

targent1
New Community Member
This happened to me today. Called the number on the Google search , said my account was hacked by someone in Oklahoma City and made me stop at the nearest store to purchase 3 $50 cards. Once I got through the **bleep** process of giving the ID numbers on the card the “ Security team” need to verify one last time to change the account. He then asked me to purchase 3 more cards and I knew then I was getting **bleep**. Googled “PayPal Google Play cards “ and saw the scam all over the net. I should have known better and can’t believe I got myself that far. The issue is also with google allowing ads to be purchased as a fake website and number for a huge company. I filed for a refund directly with google and will see what happens. I phoned the scammers back and told them politely to go f#^¥ themselves and to go hell and they told me they are “the love being the devil, think people are worthless and that they wish everyone would die “ - no joke.
Login to Me Too

Isatronium
Contributor
Contributor

Pro tip for reaching a real live PayPal person: 

1. Call their REAL customer service number: 

2. You'll get a robot that wants a one time code or your phone number / social

• Any attempts to go through their automated system will NOT end up getting you to a live person. Continue to step 3 if you want a real person.

3. Say "I don't have one", then press 0 through the next 4-5 questions/requests to verify account.

4. You will reach a live agent, after waiting ~30 minutes who will then ask you to verify account info.

Found this method through <removed>

Login to Me Too

tltonevoice
New Community Member
Absolutely almost fell into this scam. Same thing where I looked up the number via Google. The scammer wanted $500.00 claiming someone stole my PayPal credit. Oh, it was a bad day but it could have been worse if I fell for this and paid it. I complained to PayPal.
Login to Me Too

mistydoucet4265
Contributor
Contributor

My husband just got scammed out of $600 today!!!!! Same scenario of google searching a number for Paypal and he was told there was a security issue with his account and to verify his identity, he was asked to purchase gift cards, which he did. Not only did they drain his bank account, they drained the gift cards and then told him there was a glitch in the system and needed another gift card. Luckily he stopped at this point and got really ugly with the guy on the other end and was hung up on. He tried to contact a lawyer and was told there was nothing that could be done other than contacting the AG in our state to file a complaint. Something needs to be done with Paypal and Google for this continuing to happen to people and it's not just an isolated incident. Class Action lawsuit!!!!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.