SCAM by Paypal CServ Phone # in Google!!

FedUp1234
Contributor
Contributor

**Paypal NEEDS TO PAY ATTENTION & HELP FIX this SCAM!!!**  I contacted Paypal while in the car from Google. The guy asked for my email then said for security he had to send me a verification code to speak with me, he texted me a number, I gave it to him, then he went on to say my account had a security problem it was through Google and I needed to purchase a $50 Google Play card give him the numbers off it and I would be reimbursed and to prove this he gave me the name of my bank that was listed on my Paypal account.  When I questioned him he got short and tried to explain again, I stopped him and said I wanted to speak with Google first.  He offered to call me back to which I said No.  It was ALL A SCAM!!  I found the email where he changed my password so it happened for sure.  I changed my password to Paypal, contacted my bank to verify nothing had been touched and went on Paypal to report it (ended up in chat) the guy at Paypal blamed me for calling, told me to change my password and that Paypal has the best security & never been breached...Really?  I have the phone number where I spoke to the scammer, a screenshot of the Google search for customer service and nobody cares!  This was WAY TOO easy, the password change policy MUST be corrected right NOW!!  Somebody is using PAYPAL's listing in Google and they must FIX it before people get hurt.  In the meantime, I would like to know why this scammer didn't just send himself my money while he had my account open??  And went with the Google Play card scam instead?  So he's less 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@FedUp1234 

The way to contact PayPal is not googling the number because PayPal don't disclose phone number (so what you see is fake) but by clicking Help & Contact at the bottom of any PayPal website page. And then scroll down to "Contact Us".

:sigh: Crooks have done took over the net. Smiley Sad

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
23 REPLIES 23
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@FedUp1234 

The way to contact PayPal is not googling the number because PayPal don't disclose phone number (so what you see is fake) but by clicking Help & Contact at the bottom of any PayPal website page. And then scroll down to "Contact Us".

:sigh: Crooks have done took over the net. Smiley Sad

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

FedUp1234
Contributor
Contributor

How would ANYONE know that??  Honestly, Paypal should tell everyone!  It's not normal and therefore the average prudent person who is out & about with normal life would never know this and they should, so somebody needs to warn them.  This is not solved until customers are told.

Login to Me Too

alejho108

This sounds like a legal question. Who is responsible for the crooked actions of others? The unsuspecting but complacent/trusting "victim", the company and service that makes such a scam possible in the first place (paypal), or even the company that further facilitated the process with unusual and novel cards that no one knows what the F*** they are (google). Hmm....well....lets blame the one whose easiest to identify and has the least legal clout....that'd be the everyday paypal user! Here, Ill start: 1. You should have known that paypal doesnt shell out enough to put their companies correct number on google. 2. You should have know that crooks can buy out google for the top search result for something as ubiquitous as paypal. This is definitely the everyday persons problem. Definitely not paypals of googles, let alone the the scammers. With all that said, I got scammed myself, and I feel it was a very expensive lesson and reminder to be a little more vigilant on the internet and especially in regards to information regarding money and personal data. I feel like Ive been pretty good, but not good enough apparently. Maybe paypal should hire more people.

Login to Me Too

Giana111

I was,unable to access my paypal account so I googled the number for paypal and hooked up with a scammer. He led me all over the place from my accounts been hacked in t o by korea north carolina and I think iowa! Yikes what do I do now and he says I need to go to cvs or walgreens or dollar general use my debit card and get a google play card then scratch number off the back take photo of receipt and the scratched ticket all for account secruity verification as,per paypal rules ( I totally believed this was,paypal) the guy new my last 4 of checking sent my phone a code to repeat to him everything the real paypal does but I was still locked out of my paypal and the google pay was,now invalid I called a second time using same method about not being able still to sign in got another scammer this time I could tell nothing was normal about his questions and I hung up but he kept te ting my phone asking if he could help me etc this happened too many times tod a y all thru google search - I finnally went th r u ebay to paypal and th err y sent link to my email to change my password now I c a n get in but I feel unsafe totally now.  

Login to Me Too

Douggieboy2001
New Community Member
This happened to my girlfriend TODAY, that’s December 15, 2020! She asked Google to call PayPal customer service, and she reached a SCAMMER. This guy was good. He talked her through a series of “dummy transactions” on her debit card. Because she followed the instructions he gave her, PayPal says there was no fraud. What happens with Citizens Bank remains to be seen. The guy gave her a false name and a telephone number, which I plugged into a search engine. Some little town in Ohio. Google and PayPal share responsibility for this outrage— it’s continuing now, at least 2 years after it was first reported here on this blog on PayPal’s website. Google and PayPal are both complicit in this ongoing fraud, and should be sued—a class action is probably the best approach.......
Login to Me Too

Sunsetter
Contributor
Contributor
I'm a bit confused and am trying to understand how this happened. When you say he changed your password, are you saying he changed your Pay Pal password? Or your email password? So, basically, anyone who has their preferences set to use their mobile cell number for account recovery (login info. or password reset) would be vulnerable to this type of scam. So, if I'm understanding correctly, someone has a fake cust.service number. Could be for ANY company, you think you're calling the real company, you GIVE your email address, they attempt to access the "XYZ" system but they need a password. So, like many people, they have their account recovery options set to where they can use their mobile phone #. You give the caller your mobile #, they then attempt to reset your password, basically with your permission. You get that text message with a code from "XYZ's" system and then you hand it over to the scammer, who you thought was a customer service rep. Then that person uses the code, and gains access to "XYZ". Is this how it works? This is a new one on me, and would make sense. I will def. be changing all of my account recovery settings on all accounts! If anyone can confirm, I'm interested to know if this what is happening. Thanks!
Login to Me Too

FedUp1234
Contributor
Contributor

You GOT IT!!  I'm sorry if it's not clear I was very upset at the time.  But yes, you call the customer service number and it's NOT really Paypal but listed in the Google's search right at the top with big letters saying "Call" you literally can not tell unless you are sitting at home completely reviewing every detail.  I was in the car so I asked Google to search for Paypal Customer service number and it was brought up, I hit the top Call button from the search and it went straight to the SCAMMER!!!  The scammer picks up (big clue apparently Paypal never has a real person right away) and asks for your email to know who's calling, then says for security I need to text you a verification code in order to speak to you (sounds authentic) so you get the code and give it to him, he immediately uses that as a recovery of password code and then within seconds of the call has total access to ACCOUNT & ALL YOUR INFO!!!  During the conversation he even proved to me he was legit by repeating the name of my BANK.  I don't think people realize how easy, quickly and flawlessly this happened and can happen to anyone.  I'm not an idiot, I'm 53 yrs old, educated and computer savvy.  For those who tell me it's my fault, WRONG, I should be able to trust Google not to list a SCAM PHONE NUMBER right at the top of their search!!  And Paypal to protect my account and their Google search better.  However you bring up a HUGE point about using your phone to verify who you are, I'm taking it off all my accounts.  Thanks!  Let me know if I'm still not explaining well.  fyi... I have the scammer's phone number if you'd like to call and ask what they're doing, nobody else has...      

Login to Me Too

rrodgers
New Community Member
I do want to say thank you! I googled google play card PayPal while talking to him, and your post popped up. That’s when I finally hung up.
Login to Me Too

FedUp1234
Contributor
Contributor

I'm so happy it came up when Googled!!  I hope it continues...

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.